4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vortech Installed Some problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:46 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech Installed Some problems

ORIGINAL: 02GT87

ive checked the throttle cable several times and it doesnt stick anywhere and it seems to do it under only that high rpm..imma remove the tb and put my stock one back on.. i thought the vortech ecu chip was good enough for a while?
Any idle issues or drivablity other than the throttle sticking is probably a ECU problem. You simply MUST get the car checked for a/f ratio.

Your taking your engines life in your own hands every time you go WOT on the car... you have no idea what the a/f ratio or timing is doing without getting it checked.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:52 PM
02GT87
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sap

Also dont go ***** to the wall without having 1/4 or more tank of gas, under a quarter tank the SVT Focus pump can't handle it and I've thrown those p190 codes before.

Get your can dyno'ed, its well worth the cash.
yeah i havent gotten it dynoed yet my funds are pretty low im drving the car very softly until then no WOT anymore. im saving up for a xcal2, powerpipe and to drop in the lightning maf i have sitting here and have the car trailered to the nearest dyno so says my mechanic...would it be ok to drive the car about 100 miles to the nearest shop by adding the power pipe and maf alone? i dont want to spend the extra money renting a trailer and whatnot.. the car idles perfectly and hear nothing wierd going on..
Old 03-19-2008, 10:05 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Also dont go ***** to the wall without having 1/4 or more tank of gas, under a quarter tank the SVT Focus pump can't handle it and I've thrown those p190 codes before.

yeah i havent gotten it dynoed yet my funds are pretty low im drving the car very softly until then no WOT anymore. im saving up for a xcal2, powerpipe and to drop in the lightning maf i have sitting here and have the car trailered to the nearest dyno so says my mechanic...would it be ok to drive the car about 100 miles to the nearest shop by adding the power pipe and maf alone? i dont want to spend the extra money renting a trailer and whatnot.. the car idles perfectly and hear nothing wierd going on..
So long as you never go WOT and don't exceed 3000 RPM you should be safe. Your not boosting, so the worst that can happen is a lean condition when not under boost, aka the engine will run a little hotter. Would have to be majorly screwed (read: barely running) for anything to happen when not under boost, but anything COULD happen.

Put it this way, if your driving it aroud now dropping in the power pipe won't hurt anything. I would hold off on the MAF till you get to the shop just to make sure though, its probably going to throw off the ECU quite a bit from the stocker.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 PM
02GT87
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

So long as you never go WOT and don't exceed 3000 RPM you should be safe. Your not boosting, so the worst that can happen is a lean condition when not under boost, aka the engine will run a little hotter. Would have to be majorly screwed (read: barely running) for anything to happen when not under boost, but anything COULD happen.

Put it this way, if your driving it aroud now dropping in the power pipe won't hurt anything. I would hold off on the MAF till you get to the shop just to make sure though, its probably going to throw off the ECU quite a bit from the stocker.
ok ill keep it under 3k rpm ill just let people hear my whistle at idle [8D]well i have a narrowband a/f gauge hooked up i know they are junk but it seems to always be at stoich or somewhat rich always so i think im ok from leaning out..anywho i will hold off on the maf and do the install at the dyno place itself.. oh and question look at this pic (isnt my car) what i circled what is that lil black box there, my mechanic seemed to have just hooked up the vacuum hose straight to the plenum leaving that box out

Old 03-21-2008, 04:44 PM
02GT87
3rd Gear Member

anyone?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:12 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Wow... WOT without a tune. Did you do any research before you put the blower on?
I don't know what that black box is but I'm pretty sure you need it. I still have mine on there.
The narrowband a/f gauge doesn't mean anything at idle or just driving it should be all the way in the yellow (far right) during WOT if not then you may be a little lean.

If I said something wrong sorry someone will correct me.