4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help an idiot fix his mustang

Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
98F150/GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help an idiot fix his mustang

I would say go buy a jack... they arent that steep at all and are worth it. The fuel filter is not a problem really, just buy the disconnect tool and pop the new one in. As for the spark plugs I agree with the other guys if you are not that mechanically inclined you might mess something up. And the window motor is a HUGE PITA. But it also costs a fair amount to get one replaced. Sooo if you have a lotta time get the book and have at it, the worst you could do is have to take it to someone.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:40 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

same as above take it to a shop it might cost more than doing it yourself but u want it done right
Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 PM
sliek0722
2nd Gear Member

Look. How am I going to learn if I take it to a shop?

I think I could handle the spark plugs IF I could figure out how to get to all of them. Some of them are easy, others are in some ridiculous spots. All of the wires on my car are numbered so I won't mix them up. And even if they weren't, I would just replace one at a time.

As far as the power window motor goes, I got the entire door panel off, I see the power window motor and it's behind the metal under the door! Ahh! I don't want to remove the metal and the guides say just take out the speakers and work sideways. Is that why it's a pain? Or is it a pain because it's hard to deal with the screws and bolts
Old 03-13-2008, 12:24 PM
99mustang38or46
1st Gear Member

Not to be an a** but ya everyone is pretty right if you can't get to those crazy spots to get the plugs off or if they are to tight maybe a shop is the best plan. If it's a shop you know maybe just maybe they will let you watch how they get to those spots thus you are still learning but also making sure stuff gets done right. When I swapped my motor and trans and all that good stuff I didn't know everything I just knew people who knew more than me asked them for help and insight. That was better for me and my car turned out great! V6 to a V8 just Great!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:18 PM
sliek0722
2nd Gear Member

I think I figured out how to do it. I need to remove the intake hose and get a really long socket wrench. Im gonna buy a plug remover. Changing spark plugs isn't rocket science. It's just like removing one screw and screwing on the other one.

Now the real challenge is this stupid power window motor that won't come out. I cut my hand up yesterday trying to yank it out the speaker hole and it still won't budge even though I removed all the screws. It's gonna be a joy getting the new one in lol.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:21 PM
2003gtstang
2nd Gear Member

just bring the car to a mechanic. It will be more expensive but will be worth not having to struggle fixing it.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:25 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Process of elimination is the only way to learn. Sure he might screw something up, but when you do, you don't make the same mistake twice!

I was so clueless with cars when I started driving 12 years ago that I thought you were supposed to fill the oil to the top. After putting nearly 10 bottles in and the engine wasn't full I took it to my stepfathers shop. He laughed, called me a moron, and drained the 10 bottles + 4-5 quarts that were already in it.

What's my point of this story? I was that clueless when it comes to cars, and I went from that to now being able to do all of my work myself. It took many simple mistakes, and lots of hands on knowledge, but now people ask me for help with their cars. One extreme to the other.

So just do lots of research, and double think things before you make a move. You'll be fine.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:45 PM
sliek0722
2nd Gear Member

Look, a mechanic is going to want $85-$100 to put in $10 worth of parts. People who make $12 an hour make about $100 a day. If I spent 8 hours changing my spark plugs, screwing up through trial and error,then I made $12 an hour.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Buy the haynes book it will help alot. When you buy a jack DO NOT TRUST A HYDRAULIC JACK WHILE YOU ARE UNDER THE CAR!!!!The hydraulic jacks lower a little bit over time. I didnt believe my dad when he told meso to prove me wrong he put my pi engine on the cherrypicker and two days later it was on the ground.(just as example but it could happen much quicker.)
Old 03-13-2008, 07:06 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Definatly get a Haynes manual.
I just did my fuel filter the other day and with the book it only took my 15 minutes tops to change it out.
That book also has how to do the window motor if I remember correctly.

Lynn

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help an idiot fix his mustang