4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98 Cobra Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:18 PM
dug98cobra

Default 98 Cobra Mods

So I'm a racer at heart and between the ages of 6 and 16 on the small 1/20th mile quarter midget tracks in the southeast. That was many moons ago, and now I can onlydepend on memory recollection of feeling the forces of acceleration pushing me into my seat and the lovely smells ofmethonal exhaust.That used to make my heart pound like nothing else and I've decided it's time to get that feeling back! That plus being tired of the neighborhood rich kids who have daddy to thank for their late model beamer or vette <insert your favorite rival car here>. Thus the conclusion is to finally put to action all the dreams I've had at making my 98 Cobra the fastest thing on the block, city, state... well you get the picture. Admittedly, I don't have the knowledge on how to achieve my goals. I spend much of my time lusting and drooling over websites with suspension upgrades, engine power adders, transmission choices, you name it, I've investigated... well more like been overwhelmed by it. Soooo, I'm at your mercy... if you had all the money in the world (which I don't by the way) and a 98 Cobra in your garage that you don't have to drive every day to work (I have a little 4 cylinder rice burner to thank for that)... what would you do? Oh, and you do still want to pass emissions in the state of Texas and be street legal. Here's what I have been contemplating...

Suspension:
Bite the bullet and spend the 4.7K on the Maximum Motorsport's Maximum Grip Box

Drivetrain:
Upgrade the 5-speed to the 6 speed, add FRPP's aluminum drive axle, 31-spline axles, 4.10:1 (or 3.73s) gears and a TBD differential (any suggestions on that one?)

Brakes:
Willwood Superlite 6 for the front (is there an upgrade for the back that is comparable?)

Exhaust:
Kooks custom headers and complete exhaust system. Can't decide on the mufflers however... do I want the obnoxiously loud ones so the neighbors hear me coming home from the clubs at 3:00 in the morning... or do I want to be able to somewhat sneak up on an unsuspecting Viper? See what I mean... decisions, decisions! This will also depend on my power adder application to be discussed later.

Fuel Delivery:
This is my weakest area... I have no clue what to do. I will obviously need higher lb fuel injectors (how high is sufficient?), and a different fuel pump. I've even been told the tank itself should be changed... eh? What is that all about? The plan is to get at least 750 HP to the rear wheels, so any and all knowledge one has on the fuel system would certainly be greatly appreciated.

Engine:
Wow... there are so many options here. As stated, I want 750+ horses at the wheels. I love working on cars, but my experience thus far has been on the much simplier 289 from a 66 stang I got in high school. The electronic crap is a whole new ball of wax. I'll need a place I can get it tuned which I think I have covered. I'm a Dallas resident, go Dallas Mustang is a short drive. Anyone know of a better option in the Dallas area? OK, so I can't decide if I want to go with a supercharged system or go with the road less traveled option and get into the turbos.I checked out turbos today online and a place in Lousianna boasts some pretty substantial HP gains from just bolting on their system to a stock engine.The key thing for me is to have a reliable engine, I don't want to be on the side of the road at some point with some guy laughing as he screams, "FORD-Found On Road Dead!" This means that a complete rebuild is probably necessary. I'm thinking Comp cams applicable to whichever boost application I go with. Is going with the stroker kit a good idea or no? What brands should I shoot for with respect to all the internals? What head applications, intakes, etc. should I use? How about ignition systems?

Well, anyone who has had time to read all my rants here certainly has time to help a fella out, right?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 PM
steedondubs
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 98 Cobra Mods

Check out Gearheadsperformance.com I live in Arlington and thats where I go... Good people... Its owned by 2007Street Renegade Champ Travis Franklin... They can set you up with what you need
Old 03-13-2008, 09:35 PM
steedondubs
2nd Gear Member

But If I had a 98 Cobra WITH ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD, Id have 2 Hellion Turbos/ DSS block. You can get 800rwhp with a certain kit they sell. Or get their 2 turbos blowing into a SC kit.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:33 AM
lazyeye
2nd Gear Member

lol @ 750+ rwhp
only in your dreams man
Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 PM
dug98cobra

With these mustangs it's pretty much just a matter of what you can afford. Horse power and speed cost. You can go as fast as you can afford. Glad my day job pays well!