4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms

I was interested in getting rear upper and lower control arms. I just wasn't sure the adverse effects this could have on my car. Like the pressure on the torque box and such. The car is mostly street driving also, but i plan on racing it some. If any1 can give me some help and info on this it would be appreciated.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-14-2008, 02:14 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms

You will get some extra force exerted on the torque box mainly because now the power won't be going into twisting the CA's but rather moving the chassis forward, but I haven't heard of anyone trashing their torque boxes on a street/DR tire. If you ever decide to run a slick though, it would be a good idea to have a reinforcing kit welded in.

As far as control arms are concerned they come in a few varieties. Solid and polyurethane bushings with either adjustable/non-adjustable ends. The solid bushings are better at transferring energy, but might be a little harsh for regular every day driving. Poly is a good compromise for a 90% street/10% strip car. An adjustable control arm is highly recommended although a little more expensive. The advantage is that you can adjust your pinion angle for different characteristics (i.e. auto-x, drag, street), but if you're really not that worried about specializing then just skip it.

Lower control arms are important for controlling axle windup and play the main role in getting the power to the ground and the upper control arms are mainly responsible for controlling any unwanted side to side articulation.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:26 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks that helps a lot. I just need some more advice on other parts I might need. And all the options like you suggested I was wanting to go with BBK's (http://www.jegs.com/p/BBK/744984/10002/-1/1044) I just wasn't sure if I need anything else to improve handling or if someone would recommend anything. I also heard that daily driving can be a lil too stiff but that's not a problem for me I was just wondering. I'm going to also have a full tubular front suspension set up from QA1 so I think I'll have a good set up. Any more info is helpful thanks.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-14-2008, 05:13 PM
fyouceeku
1st Gear Member

These are on their way to me as I type this and all PC in red.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:14 PM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

I'm basically in the same boat as you vert, i'm looking at some Max Motorsports LCAs. I actually might get them from Stang Suspension because they seem to be a pretty all inclusive vendor. I suggest checkin' em out.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:56 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info where is that pic from. What site or brand is it?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-14-2008, 06:20 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I have had my blue oval uppers/lowers on for almost a year now and have no complaints or problems.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

[align=left]So you would recommend it I presume? I just don't want the ride too stiff. Stiff is good tho. I plan on finishing the front suspenstion completely tubular. I have subframe connectors also. I'm building up for a 4V or 5.4 swap.
[/align]
Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 PM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Stick w/ just the lowers unless you plan min. street. I just put lowers on a couple days ago and I don't want it any tighter. The car spins aliitle more until the tires heat up. But once they do, the car launches straight as a arrow. The tech told me upper will cause problems w/ binding and he didn't suggest it unless I was going to just drag racimg or keep it straight on any hard launches.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:59 AM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info brah, any else have any ideas? Thanks.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms