4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

power/dash shut off while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:40 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

Default power/dash shut off while driving?

i was driving before and out of nowhere my car reset or something, the radio shut off, my lights shut off, and my guages went to the max and back down. I don't think the engine shut off, i was in second gear at like 1.5 rpm driving normal. Really weird.....it was kinda like the test function(diagnostic) that you can do from the odometer thing.

Any ideas?[/align] Some people are saying its my alternator but my car has been starting fine?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:31 PM
techsent
1st Gear Member

Default RE: power/dash shut off while driving?

hmmm...

Maybe something electrical was wet or possibly the onboard computer hiccupped. Try disconnecting/reconnecting the pos & neg battery cables to reset the computer.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:40 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

thanks, ill try that, i have noticed though a few times when i start it up that it hesitates like its almost gonna stall.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

You running Microsoft Windows on your EEC?

Wonder if you have a loose ground somewhere to have lost all of that.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:36 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

huh? no idea what ur talkin about?

bumppp

has this happened to anyone else?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:54 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Alternator. It's happened to me before.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:02 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

ahhh, whats a good alternator to buy?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:23 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Stock, unless you're running big a$$ subs in the trunk.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:00 AM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

i just got back from my mechanic and its the alternator, its charging between 13-13.7 and it should be charging at 14.5. He wants to charge me 220 for the alternator and 60 for the install. I called up my local parts store and they have a "national" alternator with a 1 year warranty for $167. Can someone recommend a place online where i can order a good alternator for a decent price. Thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Churchkey

The correct way to test an alternator is by amperage output. Just checking the voltage will tell you if its charging or not but will not tell you if the alternator is capable of charging at rated capacity.
Also, if any accessories were on or if your battery was in a low state of charge while the voltage test was performed the voltage will be lower than normal averagebut stillshould readabove 12.5 volts.

The correct method to check the charging system is to first perform a load test on the battery. If it fails the load test it should be recharged with a battery charger while monitoring the battery voltage. If the battery voltage exceeds 16 volts while charging it the battery is sulphated & needs to be replaced. If it passes the voltage test while charging perform another load test. If it fails the load test the second time replace the battery.

Ifthe batterypasses the load test then perform aamperage outputtest on the alternator. With the engine running about 2K place a full load on the the battery & read the alternator amperage output. It should be within 10% of the alternator's rated output.

Good shop equipment & a knowledgable operatorare required to test the battery & charging system properly.

Also suggest checking the battery lead at the main fuse box located on the inner fender. I encountered a similar problem to the one you are having on a different Ford vehicle & found a loose battery wire at the main fuse box.

Quick Reply: power/dash shut off while driving?