4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

power gain estimates?

Old 03-16-2008, 08:20 PM
BostonBruins 2003GT
1st Gear Member

Default power gain estimates?

As I mentioned in my first post, I've just picked up a bone stock 2003 GT. From reading on this site like a troll for a while I've tried to narrow down my mod choices to smart ones.

What type of power gains am I looking from stock if I get Stage II heads, Stage II NA cams and Trick Flow Intake. I figure I want to do bigger mods first and little ones later like cold air intake, catback, midpipe etc.

Where do you think those 3 mods would put me with a tune?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:17 PM
02StangGuy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: power gain estimates?

maybe 265rwhp but after u do a cai and full exhaust u will see even bigger gains then normal. a full bolt on gt with h/c/i can see around 300rwhp
Old 03-16-2008, 11:33 PM
josh.davis
3rd Gear Member

Save your money and put some exhaust and suppercharge it. I am being serious too.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 PM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

like bostang bruins said about 260-270whp. but you should deff make exhaust one of ur first mods. at least a midpipe and get some of that restriction out of there.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: josh.davis

Save your money and put some exhaust and suppercharge it. I am being serious too.
+1.. i have don the bolt ons and your way better off with getting a exhaust firstly, then save cash money for a KB super and while your saving your money spend a little here and there to build your engine and rear end to take that power of the super, and lastly buy that baby and put er on!

If you buy CAI, UDP, TB and Plenum all of it must go when you get the super. So what im doing is gonna finish my bolt ons might get some heads and then just save my broke *** off for my KB.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Krissy107

I've had my '03 for about 4 years now, I added headers, high flow cat. converter, headers, and flowmasters exhaust. Now that I spent all the money I have, I wish I went big first and got a supercharger, and then worked my way down! Definitely get a supercharger first!!
Old 03-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Krissy107

I've had my '03 for about 4 years now, I added headers, high flow cat. converter, headers, and flowmasters exhaust. Now that I spent all the money I have, I wish I went big first and got a supercharger, and then worked my way down! Definitely get a supercharger first!!

She knows what she is talking about.

Little mods on these cars do next to nothing. N/A is not nearly cost efficient, so unless you are a N/A only guy (masochism on these cars) going FI first is your best bet. Not only will you see the best power/money ratio hands down from a blower, once you get a blower every single bolton you add will give you a LOT more power than it would have on a stock engine.

Basically, it is win win once you get the blower on.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:34 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

the only boltons worth doing is exhaust (starting with longtubes). udp's, cai's, etc... are a waste of money. you can spend 1500$ on heads, 500$ on cams, pay to have them installed (if you cant do that yourself) and have 300rwhp or less...or you could have bought a supercharger for a little more (or the same amount if you have to pay for labor) and have 350+ rwhp and a much mroe streetable car.

tb+plen do work with sc tho...pulleys do not. tb+plen see nearly no HP gain on a na motor but they are pretty helpful with a blown car
Old 03-17-2008, 07:37 AM
IanJK46conv
2nd Gear Member

correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't it be cost efficient if you buy the little things b4 the sc to prepare for the tune?? such as exhaust, throttle body, plenum..etc so when the sc is finally installed it only takes one tune until your set to hit the street? ..As opposed to buying the sc, installing, tuning, then installing a small mod, then tuning, etc..?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:41 AM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Def. Unless you like getting your car tuned for again for more $$$. Just a person has to be smart what they get before they go with the S/C. But as MU71 said make sure you don't buy something that doesn't transfer over becuz you will have to end eating it in the end.

ORIGINAL: IanJK46conv

correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't it be cost efficient if you buy the little things b4 the sc to prepare for the tune?? such as exhaust, throttle body, plenum..etc so when the sc is finally installed it only takes one tune until your set to hit the street? ..As opposed to buying the sc, installing, tuning, then installing a small mod, then tuning, etc..?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: power gain estimates?