4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Buying my first stang

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 01:26 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Buying my first stang

Yeah, i would try to find an 01' CObra but keep in mind, they may be a tad more expensive. This was the last year they without a supercgarger and the spit out 320 hp. They did not have a cobra model in 00'. The 02'-03' CObra was they newely redesigned one with the Eaton Supercharger that puts out 390-410 hp so i have heard. SO its up to you wich year. 01' seems about right because if you go for an 03' that is a whole different price range. You could buy and 01' and ad a couple bolt ons for a pretty fats car. looka round a bit something will come up. My car has 305 hp and the 03'-04' mach's have the same hp i have. Not sure if its the same engine though. I know they produce about the same #'s. I dont think they have the same engine as the 01' CObras because it wouldn't be a Mach, it would be a CObra. LOL. I'd look around a bit more for an 01' if you can get it. Not 99' and u rnt gonna wanna spend anywhere from 26-35 grand times 2 because where you live for a newer CObra. I wouldnt go mach either, i would go cobra all the way but that IMO.
a 96-98 cobra does not put the same numbers out as a mach 1...
Old 04-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Aongus
1st Gear Member

If your thinking that money is an issue, shop around. Read what you can about all the years (GT's, Cobra's. etc...). If you end up thinking that you want a GT to save some cash (& you will save cash with it) consider shopping for an 01 or 02. You can find them with a few more miles but at a larger savings. I just picked up my 02 GT about 2-3 weeks ago for $14,500. I had to negotiate a bit but I got some extras thrown in too. I am REALLY pleased with it & I think you would be too (I was stationed in your lovely neck of the the woods for two years & I can honestly say that a Mustang GT will smoke many of the cars on your roads... in stock form). Also, get a Carfax report before you buy any car. There are some places here in the states that sell cars with maybe 50,000 or so miles as what seems to be a great price ($8,000) but like the saying goes: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." A Carfax report will tell you all sorts of good inforamation about the car (miles it has or should have, any collisions, water damage, etc, etc...) plus they offer buy-back guarantee whereby if you find any of there information to be incorrect during the first year after registering the car, they will buy it back. Well, I hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2005, 03:01 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: mystangg

For the extra 20k, fly to the US buy the car and ship it back and probably save $[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
or canada, eh.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:06 AM
larusb

Thanks all for the replies.

I think I'm pretty much set on going with a 2001 Cobra or 2003/04 Mach, unless I find a 2003 Cobra in my price range. If I'd however find a nice 02-04GT how much power can I expect to get out of it without a blower or a nitro, i.e. with a chip, gear mod etc.?

Finally, I've never owned a car that's able to do 0-60 in under 7sec (imagine the fun I'll have when I finally get it!!) and I understand a GT can do it in 5.5 - 6 sec, is it worth the extra $$ to get a Mach or Cobra for an extra second in response?

Larus
Old 04-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Aongus
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: larusb

Thanks all for the replies.

I think I'm pretty much set on going with a 2001 Cobra or 2003/04 Mach, unless I find a 2003 Cobra in my price range. If I'd however find a nice 02-04GT how much power can I expect to get out of it without a blower or a nitro, i.e. with a chip, gear mod etc.?

Finally, I've never owned a car that's able to do 0-60 in under 7sec (imagine the fun I'll have when I finally get it!!) and I understand a GT can do it in 5.5 - 6 sec, is it worth the extra $$ to get a Mach or Cobra for an extra second in response?

Larus
Either way you go (Cobra, Mach, or GT) I know you are going to love it. Especially since you have never had a car that performs like a Mustang. I cannot speak from experience as to your question about it being worth it or not (for the Cobra or Mach). I am a cheap skate when it comes to big-ticket items. I'd rather pay less now, & add the performance later. Yes it might end up costing a little more in the long run but I am able to have a kicka$$ car from the start, at a minimal initial expense, & have the satisfaction of building it into the performance machine exeryone wants. If you have the cash to blow, grab a Cobra or Mach. I highly doubt you will be disappointed. All I know is that I was so pleased with my GT purchase that I'd recommend one to anyone. Plus the GT won't give you buyers remorse (again... I worry about money sometimes so I might be more prone to that than others. If you have the cash & are comfortable, go for it). Anyway, no matter which you get, know that you will be at ease when you stomp on the gas & you arte stuck to your seat! Let us know what you end up doing & send us some pics of your new pride & joy when you get her.