4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Downshifting

ORIGINAL: braindelmo

Im new to driving a stick and Ive always downshifted and its tiring as hell. If you just pop it in neutral and slow down with the brake, when you come to a stop do you just pop it into first?

yea, you can do it that way. i see many people on here drive that way.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:21 PM
099gt
2nd Gear Member

i dont down shift unless im braking really hard or need to stop fast. down shifting also eats up you gas
Old 04-10-2005, 01:25 AM
dan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pacman

no cause your wheels are still turning when you use the engine. The only time your wheels turn when you hit the brakes is when your abs kicks on. I use engine braking on the ice all the time, especially if your going down a steep hill and its full of ice and at the bottom of the hill is an intersection. I really dont use my brakes that much at all.
oh i see
Old 04-10-2005, 02:15 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Just double clutch when you down shift and, if you do it right you can downshift to get to 5000 rpm and, the selector should slide in like butter. Stick 'er in neutral, release the clutch, blip the gas a little higher than the rpm that the desiered gear would be in durring engagment, depress the clutch again and put it into the desired gear. Gotta do it quickly. It gets everything spinning at the same speed and the syncros dont have to work as hard or at all if you do it right. If you do it right the gear almost pulls itself into place and its so smooth you wont feel a thing.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:13 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I have never double clutched. I think its a waste of time. It goes it just for me as is.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:28 AM
JonBeast

Downshifting is awesome, I love the sound. I usually do it when I want to "trickle down", but I pop it in neutral every now and then. When I get my o/r H, im gonna downshift everywhere.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:34 AM
krafty02
2nd Gear Member

Downshifting to slow down?

Hmmm, what do think is cheaper, a set of brake pads? or transmission/clutch?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:06 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Double clutching on today cars is useless. It was need before because of the straight gear transmission and the lack of syncros. Todays car double clutching doesn't have any added benefit. The fact that the car slides into gear smoothly is because of engine to tranny rpm matching, which you do with the throttle blip. Heel-toeing is used under braking to allwo the matching of engine rpm to tranny speed. You can do this by toeing, blip the throttle as you push in the clutch to match the engine to tranny speed. The syncros take care of matching the output of the engine to tranny but if the blip was right the syncros won't do squat becase the engine and tranny will already match.

ORIGINAL: 94Cbra

Just double clutch when you down shift and, if you do it right you can downshift to get to 5000 rpm and, the selector should slide in like butter. Stick 'er in neutral, release the clutch, blip the gas a little higher than the rpm that the desiered gear would be in durring engagment, depress the clutch again and put it into the desired gear. Gotta do it quickly. It gets everything spinning at the same speed and the syncros dont have to work as hard or at all if you do it right. If you do it right the gear almost pulls itself into place and its so smooth you wont feel a thing.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:17 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i downshift and brake. i downshift so that the RPMs will go up to about 2000rpm each time than use the brakes a little. i don't go through every gear though. like i'll be going 55 and let off and get on the brakes a little, then going about 30 i'll shift into 3rd then brake down to about 20 and stick it in neutral usually.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Wolfe008
2nd Gear Member

I talked to a very experience driver today and he told me that downshifting was good cause you keep the car in gear...and he said to look in your owners manuel to see what rpm's your car shuld be driven at...since I dont have the owners manuel and my car is modifed can someone give me some suggestions as to what rpm rage I should keep my car when casual driving...(I have a 99 cobra, headers, exhaust, intake, chip, 4.10's)

Quick Reply: Downshifting