4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 AM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Downshifting

I have the hardest time NOT downshifting. Old habits die hard I guess. Driven a straight my whole life and was taught to downshift when stopping. As far as it being hard on engine and tranny, I doubt it. I've had several cars over the years achieve well over 150K and never had a problem with either. The only car I've ever even replaced a clutch in was my '96 GT, and that was because the throw-out bearing puked. I guarantee it doesn't help gas mileage though!!
Old 04-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Mike02GT
1st Gear Member

I ALWASYS DOWNSHIFT.... IT WEARS YOUR BRAKES OUT TO QUICK TO JUST STOP,PLUS U HAVE MORE CONTROL, AND IT IS JUST MORE FUN HEARING MY EXHAUST!!!!!! VROOM VROOM!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 12:32 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: braindelmo

Im new to driving a stick and Ive always downshifted and its tiring as hell. If you just pop it in neutral and slow down with the brake, when you come to a stop do you just pop it into first?
IF I put it in neutral and brake when I come to a complete stop I go through all the gears to get to 1...
Dunno why I do it honestly, no good reason whatsoever, I guess Ialways thought it's bnad to just go to neutral and then throw it in 1st if you were in 4th previously, kinda like downshifting from 4th to 1st and skipping two gears.

I usually downshift though and like someone else said I usually blip the throttle to 1000 or so RPM higher than what I'm at for a smoother shift; I don't heel toe though, I just hit thec lutch, blip the throttle, and let go of the clutch down a gear. If I'm going around a corner maybe I'll heel toe but usually I just downshift and brake without the blip, or throw it in neutral and just plain brake.

Downshifting is "worse" for the car, however; it causes you to use the clutch more than just switching to neutral and braking, which then "damages" the clutch (any use of anything hurts it..), and it's a lot cheaper to replace brakes than it is to replace a clutch. There's also a lot of retards out there who downshift to 1st because they don't know better, and it's certainly a lot cheaper to replace brakes than a transmission. My friend was trying tot ell me the other day that downshifting to 1st is OK, and he does it all the time.. at speeds as high as 30 mph too, he claimed. Well, I drove his car the other day.. the shifting was NOT smooth, dunno if it was damage done to the car by his poor downshifting to first or what, but in first gear just going forward the car would shake a little and make a grinding noise...
Old 04-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Ya know, I really don't know that much about driving a stick, and you guys are scaring the crap out of me.

When I need to slow down/stop, I'll usually just throw it in neutral and brake. Stop at a stop light, I'll stop in neutral, then when I need to go, I'll throw it in first and...well, go. (I'm running 4.10s and a Tri-X short throw, btw).

Sometimes I'll downshift at "high rpms" to get a boost to my acceleration and shut out some ricer trying to show off next to me. Every now and again I'll launch at a stop light...boost the rpms up to about 4k, then throw it in first and go. I don't do it a LOT, just every now and again when I feel like going fast.

Um...I take it all this is bad?

Somebody educate me! Heck, I don't even know what "heel toe" is. I feel like a noob that's about to destroy his machine...which I might very well be, heh.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:26 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Downshifting to first gear at too high a speed is definitely detrimental. Owner's manual will even tell you that! BTB 30 is WAY too high!! OUCH!! As several people have stated downshifting at high RPM's is definitely hard on an engine, lower RPM's less so.

Good point though, badspork, any use of your clutch and/or brakes "hurts" them and shortens their life. I never really put that thought into words... It's like a very wise friend of mine once said about fishing "If you don't want to lose that lure, don't fish with it." Same applies to a car, if you don't want to tear it up, don't drive it, but then what fun would that be!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:41 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

using something more can't be good for it. and brakes are cheaper than drivetrain parts.

another thought they put the same brakes on automatics that they put on manuals. you don't downshift automatics so you don't have to downshift manuals. i do because i like the sound and it enrages my neighbors who i hate.

btw double clutching is really only effective in 18 wheelers. unless you're really really good at it don't bother.