4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Wolfe008
2nd Gear Member

Default Downshifting

I got a 99 cobra 4.10's (for those of you who dont know) I'm stilling learning my short shifter...Is downshifting a good idea or does it put excess stress on the engine and tranny...or should I just go to neutral and brake, or downshift real lightly
Old 04-09-2005, 08:40 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Downshifting

i just throw it in neutral and brake. some people ay doing this is hard on your transmission. how i don't see, as in neutral it's not connected to anything, and spins freely. so there's no stress on it. i've never had any problems with this. besides, dowshifting every time you stop gets tiring after a while.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:13 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

i really don't think it puts that much stress on your tranny. I usually don't downshift so that it really slows me down (shifting to 2nd at 30 MPH) but i will keep my car in gear and downshift down to second at like 15 mph. I never downshift into first
Old 04-09-2005, 02:29 PM
EaterofRICE

I don't usually downshift unless I need the extra stopping power.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:57 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I downshift all the time because i like the car to be in gear, but do it at low RPM or you can put excess strain on the engine, especially valves.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

yea i always use the engine to slow me down. I dont know if thats bad, but if you drive in the icy winters its the only ways you are going to stop at an intersection.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:48 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pacman

yea i always use the engine to slow me down. I dont know if thats bad, but if you drive in the icy winters its the only ways you are going to stop at an intersection.
how would that stop you in an interesection any better than hitting the breaks? wouldn't you slide just as much in ice
Old 04-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

no cause your wheels are still turning when you use the engine. The only time your wheels turn when you hit the brakes is when your abs kicks on. I use engine braking on the ice all the time, especially if your going down a steep hill and its full of ice and at the bottom of the hill is an intersection. I really dont use my brakes that much at all.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I down shift all the time. But I dont just downshift and let my engine slow me down. When I downshift I rev up my engine about 1000rpm more than the last gear so it shifts in smoothly and it doesnt buck. "heal toe" as they put it. Its really good to get the hang of it. Once in a while I will use the engine along with the brakes to slow me down if I need extra stopping help. But be warned! dont down shift at high rpms. The Rev limiter only cuts off the injectors. downshifting past redline will break your engine!!!! Theres nothing the computer or engine can do to stop it.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:27 PM
braindelmo

Im new to driving a stick and Ive always downshifted and its tiring as hell. If you just pop it in neutral and slow down with the brake, when you come to a stop do you just pop it into first?

Quick Reply: Downshifting