4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Emissions Testing Blues

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:47 PM
gforcejunkie

Default Emissions Testing Blues

How f'n depressing is that. I try to keep everything up-to-date, legal, running properly. I'm almost too **** in the way I keep all of my motor vehicles maintained.

So everything is looking good on the '00 GT, no "check engine light". Car runs absolutely great. Good gas mileage. No smoking. Nada. I take it to get inspected. FAILED.

It's got 3 "Not Ready's" (catalyst, evap, & egr sys). WTF. I haven't reset the ECU or disconnected the battery, nothing. Now, I'm told I've got to drive around for 50 miles or whatever and go back and check it again within 15 days, just hoping it will somehow reset itself and pass.

If it doesn't pass, I guess I'll just have to sell the car or move to a county that doesn't require emissions testing. However, if someone were to email me (gforcejunkie@gmail.com) with the name of a place in the Houston area where I could get this fixed...
Old 04-09-2005, 08:43 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Emissions Testing Blues

what kind of mods do you have? replacing the EGR valve isn't hard, and that alone will cause your car to fail.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:56 AM
krafty02
2nd Gear Member

What country are you planning on moving to? I just came back from a two year tour in Portugal, Europe is ****... you cannot imagine how indepth Europe is.. the smog your car before they even pull you into the building for insp.. first in brake tests on rolling drums, then you drive onto shakers (pads under the wheels) while a guy under the car inspects the entire suspension. They find every worn component. Then load checks on your electical, water on the windshield for the wipers, seat belts are inspected for fraying plus 300 other things I purposely forgot...

Old 04-10-2005, 08:59 PM
gforcejunkie

ORIGINAL: krafty02

What country are you planning on moving to? I just came back from a two year tour in Portugal, Europe is ****... you cannot imagine how indepth Europe is.. the smog your car before they even pull you into the building for insp.. first in brake tests on rolling drums, then you drive onto shakers (pads under the wheels) while a guy under the car inspects the entire suspension. They find every worn component. Then load checks on your electical, water on the windshield for the wipers, seat belts are inspected for fraying plus 300 other things I purposely forgot...

Another COUNTY not COUNTRY. Only the counties in and around Houston, Dallas, etc... have the emissions testing requirement. If you have an address in a non-emissions county, then the inspection is only $12.50 instead of $39.50 and they don't give a damn about your check engine light or how many not ready's you have.

Anyway, I think I've got it fixed. Kid that owned it previously had put in a 160 degree thermostat instead of the stock 192-195. The engine was never warming up to full operating temperature so it was showing "not ready's" on 3 monitors. When I saw that I thought, no telling what kind of spark plugs he put in it. Sure enough, Bosch Platinum 4's. I put in the stock Motorcraft 493's and it run's a lot better, not any faster, that I could notice, just a whole lot smoother, especially at idle.

I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I take it to be re-tested.

Stay tuned.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:50 AM
krafty02
2nd Gear Member

[sm=headbang.gif]

See what happens when you try to reply after working an 10 hour shift at 6 a.m. and all your thinking about is getting into your moose-stang and racing home to your warm bed and trying to sleep 4 hours before the kids come and jump on you and you think its the wife so you get all excited then you open your eyes and ..... damn......I need a day off.

K.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:52 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gforcejunkie

ORIGINAL: krafty02

Another COUNTY not COUNTRY. Only the counties in and around Houston, Dallas, etc... have the emissions testing requirement. If you have an address in a non-emissions county, then the inspection is only $12.50 instead of $39.50 and they don't give a damn about your check engine light or how many not ready's you have.

Anyway, I think I've got it fixed. Kid that owned it previously had put in a 160 degree thermostat instead of the stock 192-195. The engine was never warming up to full operating temperature so it was showing "not ready's" on 3 monitors. When I saw that I thought, no telling what kind of spark plugs he put in it. Sure enough, Bosch Platinum 4's. I put in the stock Motorcraft 493's and it run's a lot better, not any faster, that I could notice, just a whole lot smoother, especially at idle.

I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I take it to be re-tested.

Stay tuned.

way to catch the problem. that should fix it.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:18 PM
gforcejunkie

IT PASSED!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!!
[sm=thanx.gif]
I'd like to take this time to thank Joe, from another thread that gave me the original idea about the 160 thermostat, his emails, and etc... Then, I'd like to thank all of you guys that replied to my thread giving me more ideas and moral support. I'd like to think my wife and kids for putting up with me and supporting me though this very trying period. And finally, I'd like to thank all the "little people". Who the heck are the "little people" anyway???
Old 04-11-2005, 08:27 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

That sucks man. Last time I had to get emissions done on my old car, Probe GT, the check engine light was on (always a problem with that car since we bought it..) and there was a big hole in the exhaust... the 8 year old Monza exhaust that has pretty much rotted through so that it's almost dragging on the ground.

I passed it though.

And Connecticut is pretty harsh on emissions testing, all the rich folks are into a clean environment and stuff.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:31 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

thats funny after reading this thread today at the garage a guy had his car inspected (2001 Camry) and it failed for that reason. The guy I work with just told him to drive his car for about a week and come back and it'll pass.