4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2003 GT Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 PM
DowntempoGT

Default 2003 GT Question

Hello everybody,

Aside from my New Members post this would my first mustang related post. So here we go!

This really dosnt pertain to 2003 GT mustangs exclusively....maybe all cars but...

I had my mustang parked on the side of the street close to the curve with the wheels turned to the right (towards the curve).
Somebody, possibly drunk, was driving by and got TOO close to my car and scrapedmydrivers side boor a bit, broke my driversside mirror and that would have been "all", but then manage tohit the back of my drivers side front tire (being that it was turned to was thecurb.I didnt see this actually happen. I was inside a house andwhen I came out to leaveI noticedthere was something weirdabout my car. Sure enough, while the passengers side wheel was straight (it must of been held "in place" by the curb) mydrivers side wheel was bent inwards! My car looked mutated lol. Well I couldnt drive it,I had it towed and the place I took it to does minor repairs (at the time i was really strapped for cash) So they did something to the tie end bar I believe and straightened out the tire. So i was able to drive it and have been driving it like that ever since. Now, the care runs great. The only thing is that as time goes by the inside of both my tires ESPECIALLY the one that got hitare being wore out pretty fast. I've resorted to buying used tires until I get this fixed. My car moves to one side as if not properly aligned. I took it to get aligned and it last for about a week then starts to turn to the right again. They did mention getting caster/camber plates to properly align the car ( I mentioned the accident to them). Another thing I noticed is my steering wheel is cocked to one side...is this a lost cause? Should I have the rack and pinion assembly completely switched out for a new one? I love my car,drive itALOT andit still runs great mechanically speaking, Ive had no problems with it (it just hit 100,000 miles). I apologize for the long post, but I've have this question for a looong time. I just need some direction as to where I should start to fix this problem. Thank you.

-Mike
Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 PM
02TorchRedGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2003 GT Question

A good alignment shop would be able to tell you. Evidentally you got some bent up stuff. If tie rods or whatnot were straightened then they are weak and probly bent again. I'd bring it to a shop...it don't cost anything for an estimate.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM
DowntempoGT

Default RE: 2003 GT Question

02TorchRedGT,

Thank you for the advice. It's a good place to start.
I've heard that some places offer true aligment? Is this any different that regular alignment?

-Mike