4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How to spend 20-25k?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How to spend 20-25k?

and the cobra is faster stock for stock.........besides
nothin sounds like a nice v8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

i kno u said u want hard top..but thats just to show u a ball park price.

u can find them cheaper than that, too.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:50 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: arkwar

ORIGINAL: David_K

get a FD Rx-7 twin turbo with lots of miles and swap in the 20B 3-rotor twin turbo engine from a mazda cosmo. BADD ***!!!
I'm more of an fc guy myself, but a 20B in anything is really nice. Even an RX-2 :O http://lightningrotors.rotary.net.nz/video.htm

The real issue I have with just getting another rotary is the reliability... Stuff breaks all the time on rx-7s, and the engines pop pretty damn quick. 20Bs are a bit more reliable, but the swap itself takes at the very least 10k (usually more like 15k) and tons of custom fab. work. Plus whatever you want to spend modding it...

I'm looking around at '03 Cobras now, and I think that's what I'd like to get.. Thanks for the advice, I'll come back here once I've bought the thing in a few months

on the RX7TT the 20B drops right in. all you need is a new computer. the wiring harness and tranny all bolt up. i have a friend (well i know a guy) who has a 20B FD and it sounds so ****in sick. we used to rol.l together when i had a 300ZX TT
Old 04-11-2005, 08:32 PM
arkwar

ORIGINAL: MEAT

Hey man take it from me I'm new to the Navy too(3 years in July). My advice to you is to save your money until you find out where you first permenant duty station is. Why buy a brand new car and let it sit while your in boot camp, then if your allowed to drive on base at your school you would have to have it shipped to you. Its not worth the trouble just wait to you know where you going to be stationed, save your money through boot camp and school, then buy your new car when you find out where your going. Good luck in whatever you do though.
Heh that's a very good idea.. I'm glad you suggested it because I probably would have bought the first Cobra I found once I had the income.

Thanks for the input everyone... You have all helped me make a decision as to what car to get. Now I need to lurk around these forums for a while and learn what I can before I get my car

Ya know, I really don't want to have to wait that long to buy it.. Do you guys think a dealer would let me have it for a few months free so I would buy it from him? I would tell him I'll take the sticker price, but I can't start payments for a few more months.. I'll say if he won't sell it to me I'll just buy it in Conn. and he won't get the sale. Haha somehow I don't really think it will work but it's worth a shot anyways... It would be pretty badass to drive an '03 Cobra for the last couple months of my Senior year of HS
Old 04-11-2005, 08:34 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

your still in high school? dont get a cobra youve got college to worry about
Old 04-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Ya know, I really don't want to have to wait that long to buy it.. Do you guys think a dealer would let me have it for a few months free so I would buy it from him? I would tell him I'll take the sticker price, but I can't start payments for a few more months.. I'll say if he won't sell it to me I'll just buy it in Conn. and he won't get the sale.
It would never happen. Besides, you wouldn't want to drive an 03-04 Cobra to school. It'd get trashed in a heart beat. You are a young kid, you don't need a race car just yet.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:04 PM
arkwar

No I don't.. I'm going into the Navy. They will be paying for my college .

And yep I'm still in high school.. I graduate in 2 months or so and I'm going to boot camp in late July. Besides the way I see it, it will be much easier to get a Cobra now and leave it stock for a while so I can get used to an overpowered RWD sports car. That way I won't have as much modding to do when I decide I'm ready for more power... Insurance is going to be a bitch though.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

That's for damn sure. I dont have a cobra, but my guess will put it at about 150-175. Depending on history of the primary driver.

For your last couple months of high school you may as well save the money, put it in the bank for 3 years, come back from the army and then buy your car after it has collected some interest.

What are you gonna do? Buy the car, drive it for two months (probably get in a wreck because there's too much power) then garage it for 3 years? Waste of a sports car if you ask me.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:36 PM
LuvBottles97GT
2nd Gear Member

03 cobra 4-sure!!! Nastty cars and they put out some sick #'s with little work!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:38 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

No I don't.. I'm going into the Navy. They will be paying for my college .

And yep I'm still in high school.. I graduate in 2 months or so and I'm going to boot camp in late July. Besides the way I see it, it will be much easier to get a Cobra now and leave it stock for a while so I can get used to an overpowered RWD sports car. That way I won't have as much modding to do when I decide I'm ready for more power... Insurance is going to be a bitch though.

boot camp is in winter in chicago. and why would you buy a car that will sit for 4 years b4 you drive it? just wait till after the navy lets yougo. place the money in a mutual fund or something that will give you significant interest.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Cory
1st Gear Member

Put that **** in a savings account and WAIT for summer 06 and get a 07 GT500. :P

1/2 down on the bitch and you will be LOVING it.

Quick Reply: How to spend 20-25k?