4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

GT scoop intake?

Old 04-11-2005, 03:32 AM
redGT03

Default GT scoop intake?

I was looking around mustangtuning.com and noticed they sell scoop intake kits for the GTs like the mach1's have. The "scoop" on the GTs is purely decorative, and I assume there is not a hole in the hood for an intake, correct? So would we be looking at cutting a hole in the current hood or getting another hood for the car, in order to install this? Just wondering...

Derek
Old 04-11-2005, 04:00 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT scoop intake?

Yes, you would need to cut a hole in your current hood for the Mach 1 syle. They give you a diagram, that you tape to your hood and it show you exactly where you need to cut and drill. They did one on Horsepower TV to his 96-98 Mustang. Its pretty cool for $795. Your going to be up around that for an aftermarket hood and paint, so its whatever look you want to go for. Good luck
Old 04-11-2005, 08:38 AM
krafty02
2nd Gear Member

I had all the same energy after purchasing my 02 GT, but after some simulated wind intake tests at highway speeds, I opted for a cold air intake mounted behind the spoiler.... there just isn't enough wind that would enter the scoop (if made functional) due to the windstream design of the front bumper/hood. 80% of the air goes up and over the scoop intake.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Aongus
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: krafty02

I had all the same energy after purchasing my 02 GT, but after some simulated wind intake tests at highway speeds, I opted for a cold air intake mounted behind the spoiler.... there just isn't enough wind that would enter the scoop (if made functional) due to the windstream design of the front bumper/hood. 80% of the air goes up and over the scoop intake.
I think he was talking about the "shaker hood" setup, not a GT hood scoop conversion.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:06 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

the shaker hood is damn sexy on top of that but sooo expensive!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:21 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

The shaker hood looks so nice. Do it.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Quatrocky
2nd Gear Member

i dunno if $800+ is worth a few hp....unless its the look your goin for
Old 04-12-2005, 12:08 AM
JonBeast

When looking at $$ compared to hp, its not really worth it, unless you have an big budget. But if you are just going for looks, you can prolly buy just the scoop and get it mounted somehow. It won't be functional, but if you are just going for looks this might be the right path for you. But you might as well just go with a new hood rather than mess around with fabbing up your own hood if you want looks. I'm considering putting a 01+ scoop on my hood right now, Its gonna look sweet
Old 04-12-2005, 03:37 AM
redGT03

mine already has the "shaker hood" on it, factory stuff, but as i said, it's nonfunctional. I was asking about the conversion available from mustangtuning.com which is like the mach1, only it is available for the GT too. I probably won't fool with it, I just was wondering how it would be mounted with the hood and such. Prob go with cold air intake, how hard to install, anyone?

Derek
Old 04-12-2005, 03:48 AM
2001_SaleenS281_08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redGT03

mine already has the "shaker hood" on it, factory stuff, but as i said, it's nonfunctional. I was asking about the conversion available from mustangtuning.com which is like the mach1, only it is available for the GT too. I probably won't fool with it, I just was wondering how it would be mounted with the hood and such. Prob go with cold air intake, how hard to install, anyone?

Derek
No, you do not have the shaker hood. You have a hood with a non-functional decorative air scoop. The Mach 1 has the "shaker" hood, and no other mustang comes stock with it. The conversion requires you to modify your current hood, by cutting a hole in it. You will basically ZERO gains with it, the CAI will make the main difference, not the shaker. Unless all you want is the look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT scoop intake?