MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Mustang japanese?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/42660-mustang-japanese.html)

badsp0rk 04-13-2005 03:17 PM

RE: Mustang japanese??

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

If you are really curious, just go to your local Ford dealer and check out the new car stickers on the left over '04's and new '05's. Right on the sticker they have to print what percentage of the car was built in the US and elsewhere. True they may assemble some Mustangs for sale in other countries around the world but all US sold Stangs were built in the US with mostly US parts. Many of Ford's large cars like Lincolns and Grand Marquis/Crown Vic's are made in Canada. I thought Ford opened a brand new plant just for building 2005 Mustangs. I know the old, traditional Mustang plant closed down last year.

Sweet.

when I bought the car, the guy kept the sticker and it's in the glove compartment now; I'll check it out when I go to the gym later today. Thanks!

nathansmith50 04-13-2005 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

If you are really curious, just go to your local Ford dealer and check out the new car stickers on the left over '04's and new '05's. Right on the sticker they have to print what percentage of the car was built in the US and elsewhere. True they may assemble some Mustangs for sale in other countries around the world but all US sold Stangs were built in the US with mostly US parts. Many of Ford's large cars like Lincolns and Grand Marquis/Crown Vic's are made in Canada. I thought Ford opened a brand new plant just for building 2005 Mustangs. I know the old, traditional Mustang plant closed down last year.
every mustang from'64 to '04 was assembled at dearborn assembly. EVERY single one worldwide. now they're made in flat rock. the UAW workers that used to work at dearborn assembly got transferred to the new dearborn truck plant where they make the F150.

Flat rock is not a new plant by any means. they made the probe there. and they make the Mazda 6 there now on the same line as the mustang.

lincoln LS, Towncar, and thunderbird in ------- Wixom Michigan
taurus and mercury sable ---------------------- Atlanta Georgia
five hundred, freestyle, mercury montego --- Chicago Illinois
F series trucks ----------------------------------- Cuautitlan Mexico, Dearborn Michigan
Ranger-------------------------------------------- St. Paul Minnesota
focus ---------------------------------------------- St. Petersburg Russia, Hermosillo Mexico,
F Series, Escape --------------------------------- Kansas City Kansas
F Series Excursion ------------------------------- Louisville Kentucky
Econoline Van ------------------------------------ Lorain Ohio
Explorer, Mercury Mountaineer ----------------- Louisville Kentucky
Expedition, Navigator ---------------------------- Wayne Michigan
F Series ------------------------------------------- Norfolk Virginia
Freestar, Mercury Monterrey -------------------- Oakville Ontario
Econoline, Escape -------------------------------- Avon Lake Ohio
F Series ------------------------------------------- Oakville Ontario
Explorer, Mountaineer, Aviator ----------------- Hazelwood Missouri
Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Marauder ---------- Talbotville Ontario
Focus ---------------------------------------------- Wayne Michigan

All prototypes and experimental vehicles------- Allen Park Michigan

Did i forget anything?

nathansmith50 04-13-2005 08:53 PM

there are lots of others throughout the world but if you bought your vehicle in the US it was made at one of the above plants.

racer02GTstang 04-13-2005 10:06 PM

theres some plant near me... it may have been the alanta one though... cause i drive by it alot going to alanta... i may have been confused. cause that one has the same cars i was talkin about. the taruses. good info!

2000GT4.6 04-14-2005 03:21 PM

I work for a supplyer of Ford, and several other major manufactureres, we build the plastic interor parts for cars and trucks (dashes, ac vents etc). Most of the parts for even forein cars are acutally made in America. I am sure there are some parts that arn't, but everyone is trying to go to a "One for One" basis of production.

For example, we make the centerpanel and speedo shroud for the Ford Escape, and the Mazda Tribute. I am talking about the panel that houses the radio, and has several switches for 4WD etc. We acutally build and pack the panels in the same order they are built at the plant in KC. When a car comes down the line, the box that is next will have the correct panel in it.

Manufacturers don't want to wait for parts to be shipped overseas, so they have to be built here. That way, if anything goes wrong, any changes need to be made, or they simply want to change their order they can do so and we can deilever in a few days instead of a few weeks.

grimwolf 04-15-2005 11:24 AM

yeah but its not cost effective to have parts built elswhere then shiped here with high taxes on imports.
about the only thing i could think of that MIGHT be made in japan or china is the cpu for the car...but chances are more then likely its also made here.
but some fords are made in other countries and thats because its a global economy...its cheeper to sell your product to somone in china if your building that product in china...
and about dell....the only thing american about them is they are based in the country lol...

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot

I wouldn't be surprised if it was. So many American companies are trying to save money by outsourcing (?).

For example: I purchased two computers from Dell. Supposedly American. Well their customer service people are located in other countries and I have a hard time understanding what they are saying because their accents are so heavy. The last two were Indian.

grimwolf 04-15-2005 11:35 AM

thats like the vette and owens corning...they either make the body pannels or ship the composit fiberglas as their being built its called lean manufacturing and it was started by toyota, theres more to it then just that but im sure you probly know about that.

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I work for a supplyer of Ford, and several other major manufactureres, we build the plastic interor parts for cars and trucks (dashes, ac vents etc). Most of the parts for even forein cars are acutally made in America. I am sure there are some parts that arn't, but everyone is trying to go to a "One for One" basis of production.

For example, we make the centerpanel and speedo shroud for the Ford Escape, and the Mazda Tribute. I am talking about the panel that houses the radio, and has several switches for 4WD etc. We acutally build and pack the panels in the same order they are built at the plant in KC. When a car comes down the line, the box that is next will have the correct panel in it.

Manufacturers don't want to wait for parts to be shipped overseas, so they have to be built here. That way, if anything goes wrong, any changes need to be made, or they simply want to change their order they can do so and we can deilever in a few days instead of a few weeks.

Deannostang 04-15-2005 09:51 PM

Between nathansmith50 and 2000GT4.6, I think we covered all the bases. Good info to know. That must be one of the reasons I (we) kind of feel at "home" driving our Mustangs. Thanks guys.

badsp0rk 04-15-2005 11:59 PM

Yeah, thanks for all the info; I thought the kid was kinda off by telling me the car was Japanese.. didn't seem smart (cost effective, long distances means longer time to change orders, etc..) or "traditional" (ford being an AMERICAN company), just wanted to confirm that the 'stang WAS american, like I thought.