4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Studder in car?

Old 04-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Dangey86

Default Studder in car?

OK i just got my car back from the shop after having a little incident. The tank was full and i had put 89 in it. it sat for about 11 days and when i got it back there is sort of a studder in the motor. When i give it gas there isnt constant power, it seems like it cuts out a little and bogs then picks up then kind of bogs again a little bit. I dont know if its detonating/bad gas, or what else it could be. The reason it was in the shop was for a new radiator (only motor damage anyway)

anyone have an idea of what it could be?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Studder in car?

What kind of stang? Year, tranny, motor? Could be a few things, possibly with the ignition system, maybe a bad sensor bad gas...
Old 04-13-2005, 06:14 AM
Broken
1st Gear Member

Do the cheaper trial and error stuff first. Buy some sort of "Dry Gas" additive and dump it in the tank. Maybe some injector cleaner too and give your fuel filter a looksee.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:16 AM
Broken
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dangey86

OK i just got my car back from the shop after having a little incident. The tank was full and i had put 89 in it. it sat for about 11 days and when i got it back there is sort of a studder in the motor. When i give it gas there isnt constant power, it seems like it cuts out a little and bogs then picks up then kind of bogs again a little bit. I dont know if its detonating/bad gas, or what else it could be. The reason it was in the shop was for a new radiator (only motor damage anyway)

Dont understand what that means. New radiator and some motor damage? I would maybe take it back to the shop who worked on it and tell them it isnt running right. Maybe they forgot to hook something back up?
Old 04-13-2005, 11:07 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Chances are the car sat still for so long that the trash in the gas tank had time to settle and it was sucked into the fuel filter when they restarted the car. That would be the first thing to look into simply because its probably gonna be the most cost effective peice to start with.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:08 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Broken

ORIGINAL: Dangey86

Dont understand what that means. New radiator and some motor damage? I would maybe take it back to the shop who worked on it and tell them it isnt running right. Maybe they forgot to hook something back up?

Yeah... didnt see this one. If you had a damaged motor then you might wanna take it back to them and let them know it isnt running right.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Dangey86

NO there was no motor damage. Just a radiator. As for the car sorry its a '01 GT 5 speed T-5.

Thanks guys i'll start doing some checking today and see what i come up with.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:47 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

I would say your injectors are clogged or maybe the fuel filter. Check those out first.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Dangey86

Where about is the fuel filter? I dont have a lift here at my house so i would like to know where to look to get at the thing to jack up the car. I looked underneath but didnt find much. Thanks

Chris

EDIT- i got a diagnostics check and it passed, there were no codes found.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:05 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Well if you crawl up under the car in the rear it is right btween the fuel tank and the rear bumper. Its very easily distinguishable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Studder in car?