Procharger bov... - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Procharger bov...

Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Procharger bov...

hrmms I dunno if anyone covered this, is there any advantage to a bypass over the bov? Other than sound.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:05 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The reason for the bypass is for supercharged applications that have a draw through MAF. You can't vent air that has already been metered by the MAF into the atmosphere. It throws off your air/fuel, because your engine thinks its ingesting that air. When you have a blow through MAF the only reason to have a bypass is that they are much eaiser to tune. On a draw through setup there isn't the turbulence caused by the compressed air passing through the MAF and poor placement of the MAF in the discharge/intercooler tubing.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

^^right but haveing a bov to atmosphere has its advantages too. you dont recirculate the hot compressed air,and you get a lot more options on placement.
anyone who knows how to setup a superchrger correctly would put your maf after the bov. people use bypass because the stock maf on most cars can not handel the heat and pressure of the tubing after a s/c. and they make small maf's for bov's too that effectivly subtract the air leaving the bov.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:32 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Whamo

^^right but haveing a bov to atmosphere has its advantages too. you dont recirculate the hot compressed air,and you get a lot more options on placement.
anyone who knows how to setup a superchrger correctly would put your maf after the bov. people use bypass because the stock maf on most cars can not handel the heat and pressure of the tubing after a s/c. and they make small maf's for bov's too that effectivly subtract the air leaving the bov.
+1 the biggest advantake to a blow through/BOV set up is for higher pressure. If your running tons of boost on a draw through when the bypass blows off back into the intake it can really throw off the readings by blowing air back through the MAF or at least stopping the flow through it and cause lots of drivability issues.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

He may be talking about whether to recycle the air coming out of the bypass valve, or to let it vent externally. If you are running a blow through mass air, you can do either with no effects on anything.

Basically if you recycle it.. you won't be able to hear alot..

If you let it vent externally, you'll hear a "shhhhhhhhhhhh" sound anytime it is venting and a woooshhh sound anytime you shut the throttle at high boost

I actually ran mine out the passenger side fender... It sounds really cool like this imo

Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

^^^and that doesent corode.. or i guess its aluminum so oxidize?? or do you not run in the rain or on gravel.. ud think it would get dirty.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I don't think I really agree with that. From what I have seen and heard the blowoff/blowthru maf setups are much harder to tune than a bypass/draw thru maf setup. So far as the hot air recir issue, since this does not happen except at the end of a WOT period, and since its such a small amount of air (when shifting for example) I don't see this being a real issue.

I have yet to see a procharger setup with a bypass, OR a vortech one with a blowoff valve. IMO the bypass/draw thru setup is the way to go, as there are far less problems to deal with so far as the maf not seeing boost and its easier to tune.

Obviously the draw thru setups don't have problems making big power, as every single twin screw and eaton setup out there is nessicarrilly a draw thru.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

If your having this sort of issue its simply because you have the placment of the bypass exhaust (into the intake, before the blower) setup incorrectly. Your pipping should be setup to vent it toward the blower, and away from the maf, as far away from the maf as possible. While it moves plenty of air, its not THAT much, just enough to releave the pressure and not cause any issues with compressor surge.

BTW, all this being said, its probably NOT what the OP's mechanic is talking about. Surely his mechanic is not going to try to convert a mild procharger setup over into a draw thru setup... that would require lots of fabrication etc on the pipping.

More than likely, he is simply asking you if you want a loud blowoff or a quiet one. You can buy a blowoff valve that will be MUCH louder than stock while still doing the exact same job.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:33 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I don't think I really agree with that. From what I have seen and heard the blowoff/blowthru maf setups are much harder to tune than a bypass/draw thru maf setup. So far as the hot air recir issue, since this does not happen except at the end of a WOT period, and since its such a small amount of air (when shifting for example) I don't see this being a real issue.

I have yet to see a procharger setup with a bypass, OR a vortech one with a blowoff valve. IMO the bypass/draw thru setup is the way to go, as there are far less problems to deal with so far as the maf not seeing boost and its easier to tune.

Obviously the draw thru setups don't have problems making big power, as every single twin screw and eaton setup out there is nessicarrilly a draw thru.

The twin screw/roots blowers also discharge the air back into the manifold instead of right behind the MAF and there is much less actual volume of air to be vented. Think about how much air physically is in your system when it is pressurized at full boost vs the amount that is in between the heads and lobes of a twin screw.

But lets say you were running say....15psi with your vortech intercooled, and you vented all that pressurized air back into the 2 foot intake tube between the MAF and the blower. The air would be forced to back up through the MAF. There is nowhere else for that much air to go that fast.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:42 AM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

i do not dissagree to any of that ^. exept however that most positive displacment superchargers use a totaly different stlye of bov and bypass valve. being so close to in t/b they can cut boost alot faster and utilize diffrent methods of solving surge problems. different setups work for different bov setups.
BUT to the question you asked (stangbnmalo) it would do very little if any to benifit your perfomence to simply change how the bov sounds, be that by swapping it with a different one or utilizing a different "atmosphere vent" setup.