4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Odds of blowing my engine?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Burtonsnow157
3rd Gear Member

Default Odds of blowing my engine?

For some reason i'm always paranoid about how i take care of my engine and drivetrain, and always feel bad after i beat on the car. I currently have almost 38000 miles on the car. If i drive it hard at least once a day (to redline or just below) does that greatly increase the risk of destroying my engine down the road or does it just make it a tired, and less powerful engine. I would like to assume that as long as you dont use nitrous, blower, or go past redline that your engine should last fairly long no matter what you throw at it. Is this a safe assumption?

If im showing someone my car for the first time i usually hold it in first gear at 3k and then let it rip. Is this a bad idea or for the most part safe as long as i dont over rev?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 PM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Odds of blowing my engine?

man i got 120k on my motor and still spraying. my new motor will be getting built soon forged internals and wat not. but just do basic maintnece and ur car will last u for a very long time
Old 04-03-2008, 11:40 PM
SixEight
2nd Gear Member

You aren't damaging your engine just by giving it a little gas once in a while. Assuming it's properly tuned of course.

Unless you removed or raised your rev limiter, you can't over rev. Thats what your rev limiter is there for.

You sound like you granny your car compared to me, and my engine is very healthy after 68,000 miles. As long as you maintain your car you've got nothing to worry about. I work at a shop and I'm not even really **** about maintnence on my car, but I'm not oblivious to it either.

If you stay up to date with your service intervals, drive your car ***** to the wall if you want to. I daily drive my Mustang, hard, and I'm planning to put up at least 150K before I pull the engine.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Burtonsnow157

For some reason i'm always paranoid about how i take care of my engine and drivetrain, and always feel bad after i beat on the car. I currently have almost 38000 miles on the car. If i drive it hard at least once a day (to redline or just below) does that greatly increase the risk of destroying my engine down the road or does it just make it a tired, and less powerful engine. I would like to assume that as long as you dont use nitrous, blower, or go past redline that your engine should last fairly long no matter what you throw at it. Is this a safe assumption?

If im showing someone my car for the first time i usually hold it in first gear at 3k and then let it rip. Is this a bad idea or for the most part safe as long as i dont over rev?
for the most part it's correct. Your bottom end is gonna hold up fine until you start throwing power adders at it. The redline isn't a critical engine failure line. Your motor will rev up to around 6.2-6.5k or so with the stock valvesprings before you start noticing any float, but there's no more power to be had after 5.7k so thats why the redline is there. Now if it was an LS1 that bitch would break pushrods and spit the rod bearings out if you spun it that high.[:-][:-][8D][8D]
Old 04-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Burtonsnow157
3rd Gear Member

cool sounds good. the main thing that got me thinkin about this was that my friend has a mach 1 built by mustang magic here in town, they built the black snakebite cobra thats on youtube. the wife of the guy who built those 2 cars works with me and he came in one day and were shootin the sh*t for a few and about the 04 mach, andhe said

"yeah it used to do 12.1's, but now its a tired motor, probably looking at 12.5's"

so hearing it from the guy who built snakebite i was kindatook it as fact,but my friend just ran a 12.1 with it last week so i guess he was wrong about it being "tired"

you guys defare right though. ive been in nyc cabs before (which get driven to death) with like 290000 miles on them so i guess i'll be in good shape for now (they do have the same base motor right? hence the modular name?)
Old 04-04-2008, 02:49 AM
SonicKbGt

ORIGINAL: Burtonsnow157

You should be fine man. I've beat my poor GT up real bad and it still runs like a champ. After 9 months of a 150 shot doing about 2 bottles a week and now 9lbs on a kenne that never comes out of boost, I'm not sure what's keeping my 2V together lol
Old 04-04-2008, 03:23 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

your fine. altho no one can predict when your engine goes but its not gonna blow up from doing that unless there was a manufacturing defect or something.