4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 AM
andysm
1st Gear Member

Default New belt?

I installed a new fuel pump and belt on mine last weekend, and on monday when the wife and I went to pick up chines the weather was nice and I was feeling the need. After running her hard for a little while, I started smelling the new belt. When we got to the restaurant I looked under the hood and every thing looked good all pulleys were spinning free, no wobble, no noise. Next couple days of normal grandpa driving, no smell. So this got me scratching my head and wandering if any of you guys have ever run into a new belt doing this?

The car comes home today with 4:10's, and a 93 octane diablo tune. Something tells me the belt gets a workout soon.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:50 AM
02TorchRedGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New belt?

Check your belt tensioner. My belt used to slip at redline during the shift untill i replaced the tensioner.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 AM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem with a Motorcraft belt. After putting the Motorcraft belt I would smell a burning belt smell. This went on for a few days so I brought the belt back to Ford, they refunded my money and them purchased a Goodyear belt and the smell has been gone for 2 years.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

yeah its a normal thing with hard driving. you heat the belt and thats what you smell. if you dont have any squeks at startup and you have never jumped a belt i wouldent worry about your tensioner just yet. you should see my procharged gt's belt.. or rather smell it. rofl. you have nothing to worry about.

now this is all asuming you got the right belt and installed it correctly. not to hate, just had to be said.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM
andysm
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Whamo

yeah its a normal thing with hard driving. you heat the belt and thats what you smell. if you dont have any squeks at startup and you have never jumped a belt i wouldent worry about your tensioner just yet. you should see my procharged gt's belt.. or rather smell it. rofl. you have nothing to worry about.

now this is all asuming you got the right belt and installed it correctly. not to hate, just had to be said.
It is absolutely installed correctly, I even just bumbped the engine at first, and then watched it to makes sure it was running true and and wobble or anything. And I said above when I drive normal, or like "grandpa" there is no sign of a bad belt. I also pulled it to check the length of the old one and this one was a little shorter, due to stretch I assume. This belt is a goodyear, but with the crosshatch grooves. I didn't like the looks of the crosshatch when I bought it. And now that I think of it with all that extra rubber removed there probably less friction area.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:03 PM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

Just put a new serpentine belt on my 03 mach 1 on Tuesday, been driving it everyday, hard and easy, no smell. I got a Dayco, don't know what your using but I would check your tensioner as mentioned above.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

if your tensioner was rubbing enough to make a smell i would think it would be throwing belts left and right, not to entirely rule it out. be safe and check. it may also be some of the other belt left on there just working its way off the pullys (if it had been slipping before, even a little, which old belts tend to do). do you clean your pullys with brake cleaner between belt changes?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 PM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

yea i agree with 02torchredgt....check the tensioner
Old 04-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hijack but I was driving my car pretty hard a few days ago and heard a weird noise so I pulled over.When I popped the hood I noticed really quick that two of the six ribs on the belt had shredded off. Would this be from debree spitting up from the road or from a flawed part ?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 PM
andysm
1st Gear Member

Just picked up the stang from the shop that installed my 4:10's and he said he had quit using goodyear belts for the same reasons I am going through. He said the dayco and other brands were out performing the goodyear brand. I will probably go get a differnt belt and try it this weekend.

Quick Reply: New belt?