4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

a few questions regarding cams. (now heading toward PI swap stuff)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:44 AM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

Default a few questions regarding cams. (now heading toward PI swap stuff)

first off, i have a blown headgasket right now and i figure it is a good time to upgrade everything since the heads will be off. i need to get everything running asap so ican get it back on the road. i am currently driving my dad's 1989 5.0 LX, but he doesnt want me driving it for a long period of time. i will be doing the labor all myself and am relatively mechanically inclined, so i shouldnt have too many issues beyond the common issues.

so here it goes...

i am getting the patriot stage II heads, and am looking at cam options. i am mainly looking at the anderson ford motorsport cams. http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/ i want the biggest, highest revving cam for my mustang and have a few questions.

here is what i do know: the patriot heads allow up to a .600 lift and i called anderson ford motorsports and they said that all of their cams would work with those heads (all being under .600 lift).

my main question is how high can i safely rev the stock short block with a competant valve train?

i would like to get the N-32, which makes power up to 6600 rpm, but i want to know that it would be safe to spin it that high on a stock bottom end (on occasion)

since i am currently NPI, i realize that the compression is bumped up to ~10.5:1 with the PI based patriot heads.

i will be following all recommendations that AFM suggests (except for the stall, i will wait to do that until i am in UTI and after i go through the auto transclasses).

my mods at this point are: eibach prokit, kyb agx shocks and struts, upper and lower control arms. k&n FIPK II and flowmaster american thunder.

i will be going with a PI intake manifold until i can afford a better one.

sorry for the long post and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: a few questions regarding cams. (help asap is appreciated because i need to order everything soon)

You might want to call Anderson back to ask the question on how high you can rev the engine and still stay in the safety zone (they will know). However, I am lost on why youwant a high reving cam. Why do you want a high reving cam?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: a few questions regarding cams. (help asap is appreciated because i need to order everything soo

You don't want to go much higher than 6.5k on the stock shortblock. I've done it once or twice on accident. I've got a much safer revlimit now and all my bearings still seems to be working ok.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: a few questions regarding cams. (help asap is appreciated because i need to order everything soo

be aware of how high your pistons will alow the cams to lift.. these are interference motors. im pretty sure anythign past "stage 1" will hit without different pistons. im not sure thoe with an npi shortblock.. i dont know if it is different than the pi shortblocks.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 AM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

i want a higher revving cam so that i will be able to hit higher trap speeds in second or third gear (depending on if i am running1/8 or 1/4 mile) if needed with the 4.10's that i am going to install.

i am not one of those people that do things just to be a different, but it would be kinda cool to be able to pull hard to 6600 when most of the other mustangs practically flatline at 5800 or 6000. and most the TPI third gen camaros fall on their face at 5200, and stock ls1's peak hp is in themid 5000's although theycan pull a little longer.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 AM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

"Camshafts For Use With Stock 96-04 Mustang GT Pistons
And 99 and up P.I. Heads"

i just found that on the AFM site.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

That's a good reason! The only thingI would start to do is save for a short block because I don't think your engine or any mustang engine is going to be able to withstand the constant beating of 6,600 rpms without a good bottom end.

I think i remember seeing in one of the MM&FF magazines an article on a modularengine build where they gotthe engine to rev up to 7,000 rpms all day longsafely.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:03 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

Default a few questions regarding cams. (now heading toward PI swap stuff)

i am not going to push it to 6600 often, if at all. if i am at the strip or something, than maybe i will push it up to 6400-6500. i never push my stang past 5000 around town and i dont think that is going to change. 2700 to 6500 is the main powerband of that cam, but i guess you can hit 6600. i figure a starting powerband at 2700 would be about perfect, and i could always have the extra top end when i choose to push it. i would probably do the sct tuner with a flipchip type thing and have my daily tune with a rev limiter of like 6200, and a race setting up to like 6500.

since that is settled for the moment, i am going to get a little bit in to the rest of the stuff needed for the swap... i called ford racing and he gave me a list of what i would need, and here it goes:

2 cam sprocket bolts and washers, the nipple, heater hose, radiator hose, plus the ford racing head swap kit. besides ford, does anybody know where a good/cheap place would be to buy all of that?

****would i need to beef up the injectors and fuel system for the heads and cam i am going for? ****

****posted in another thread to maintain previous scope.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: a few questions regarding cams. (now heading toward PI swap stuff)

i have another informational update for everybody. AFM says the cam (N-32)requires their special hi lift/rev valve spring kit. after a few phone calls, i have confirmed that the valve springs on the stage II patriot heads are more than sufficient for that cam. The N-32 AFMcam requires an open seat pressure of >/=90 lbs and closed of >/=250 and the patriot heads have 115 and 260 respectively. so it seems that everything is falling together nicely.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:29 PM
bjh061487
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: a few questions regarding cams. (now heading toward PI swap stuff)

get a shift light and you will never go past you want because those f*ers are bright