4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How do I unprogram a remote from my car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Robbgt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How do I unprogram a remote from my car?

Well, you can program however many remotes you have/want for your car. If you program say yours and if you have a spair. then it will lock in those 2 and should kick out the old code as well as the one you gave to your buddy.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The process described below will first clear all remote units, and then program only the units you use in the sequence loop described--I.e. if the "key fob sold to the neighbor" is NOT included in the sequence then it will be effectively disabled on vehicle "A".[/align][/align][/align]
ORIGINAL: vinson581

this isnt true......the car will erase the remotes in memory....

HERE IS THE PROPER way how to do it.

turn the ignition key back and forth 8 times (not starting the car of course, with the engine off, so the key goes from off to the position where the gauges and idiot lights come on)the door locks are now going to cycle on the 8th turn, leave the key in the assc (dash lights on) position, and then just hit the unlock or lock button on the remotes that you still want to keep, you can also hit lock, doesnt matter,when you are finished withthe number of remotes you want, just turn the key back to the OFFposition and your all set to go...so if you have u said 4 remotes only hit the onlock button on the 3 remotes you still have, this will clear the memory and thus now you only have the remotes programmed that you want.....

TO MY knowledge this works on all ford with keyless entry.....and here is my reasoning and what cars i have used this meathod on.

2008 F-150 Supercrew lariat
(2) 1999 Explorers
2004 Mustang
1998 Ranger

also different remotes will work with different cars you just have to make sure it is the same style and you will be all set...if have various remotes,and prolly 5 spares new of differnt styles, the 4 button ones work for our cars, and anything with a trunk popper, the 3 button remotes work on the ford trucks(without the glass popper)and F series line.

Hope this helps
[/align]
Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
wisk
4th Gear Member

Ah.. I read it another 5 times and finally got the jist of it.
Thanks fellahs!

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

The process described below will first clear all remote units, and then program only the units you use in the sequence loop described--I.e. if the "key fob sold to the neighbor" is NOT included in the sequence then it will be effectively disabled on vehicle "A".[/align][/align][/align]
ORIGINAL: vinson581

this isnt true......the car will erase the remotes in memory....

HERE IS THE PROPER way how to do it.

turn the ignition key back and forth 8 times (not starting the car of course, with the engine off, so the key goes from off to the position where the gauges and idiot lights come on)the door locks are now going to cycle on the 8th turn, leave the key in the assc (dash lights on) position, and then just hit the unlock or lock button on the remotes that you still want to keep, you can also hit lock, doesnt matter,when you are finished withthe number of remotes you want, just turn the key back to the OFFposition and your all set to go...so if you have u said 4 remotes only hit the onlock button on the 3 remotes you still have, this will clear the memory and thus now you only have the remotes programmed that you want.....

TO MY knowledge this works on all ford with keyless entry.....and here is my reasoning and what cars i have used this meathod on.

2008 F-150 Supercrew lariat
(2) 1999 Explorers
2004 Mustang
1998 Ranger

also different remotes will work with different cars you just have to make sure it is the same style and you will be all set...if have various remotes,and prolly 5 spares new of differnt styles, the 4 button ones work for our cars, and anything with a trunk popper, the 3 button remotes work on the ford trucks(without the glass popper)and F series line.

Hope this helps
[/align]
Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Robbgt
1st Gear Member

Did it work??? Just want to be sure we resolved ur problem...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 PM
wisk
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Robbgt

Did it work??? Just want to be sure we resolved ur problem...
I won't know till I meet up with the guy and see if his remote still controls my car.

I do have a spare I guess I can mess around with. Give me a little while and I'll let you guys know.