4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

96 GT project thread *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Stalion415
1st Gear Member

Default 96 GT project thread *PICS*

Alright so i posted a few weeks ago about a 1996 gt i was lookin at and i ended up buying it. It needs alot of work but i am looking foreward to fixing it up... I am going to post what it has and what i want to do with it also with pictures as i go. Feel free to make suggestions or comments.. thanks

Exterior:

HAS:
Black primer on most of the body (straight body, no dings or anything) and the Hood and front bumper at Red
Black Top which needs replacing (see pics)
Stock Back lights
Stock front lights, with Clear Corners
Ponies in horrible condition, with bald bloated tires, and one space saver spare (3 ponies)
Stock Suspension i believe (but he said it has everything needed to lower it except for springs) i am not sure what parts those are, but i know it has caster/camber plates

What i want to do with it:

Paint it either a stock looking black or a more pearl black. but black for sure

New top, black... and i was wondering.. can i reused the glass window in the back? also need headliner

The front lights are all fogged up so i want to get some clears like these (Ebay has some good prices on lights... all i need are the shells cause i plan on getting an HID Kit)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clear...30249604QQrdZ1

And Hid Kit.

Also How much will fog lights cost me? cause there are none on the car now.. and if they arent too much i might pick some up.

As for rims i know that i want Black rims, and cobra's or replicas because i want to stay mustang, and also want black on black everything.

I was thinking about these... let me know what you guys think... they are 1100 shipped with tires and i am on a budget keep in mind... input is appriciated....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1

Suspension eventually... but down the road.

INTERIOR:

HAS

All black (in pretty good condition) interior... Normal wear for over 115k on it.

Stock Stereo

Holes from where a styling/light bar once was
WANT

I want to put a deck in here because i believe the stock cd changer is broken and wont spit the CD out... but nothing too fancy because it is a drop top, and cutting through the top is way to tempting for the punks around here (orignailly got cut to look through glove box)

OTher then that maybe some new seats eventually, but that is down the road

i want to get another styling/light bar because i think they look awesome when the top is down (obviously lol)
ENGINE

HAS

Its got a 97 sotck GT engine pulled from another car (72k) with alot of extra parts (starter, wiring, a/c, ect.)
Stock everything else
5speed

WANT

Needs a shifter... so i am probably going to go with a short throw shifter any suggestions? i am not trying to spend alot, and i see ebay has some cheap ones (any good?)

Thats about all i can think of for now, but i plan to keep this thread going adding pics, and things that i want to put into it later...

Here are the pics of it right now.

Can someone let me know how to post pics? thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 96 GT project thread *PICS*

use [IMG] and [/IMG] instead of [IMG]

Old 09-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

wow... u gots lots of work to do there
Old 09-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Stalion415
1st Gear Member

alright thanks, ill do that if you delete yours, otherwise its fine how it is
Old 09-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Looks like a fun project, good luck and I can't wait to see it come along.

E.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:39 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Looks like you have one hell of a project in front of you. Your car looks like my car when I bought a year and half ago except for the conv. part and I only had one door in primer had 4 bent rims and 4 bald tires the engine was disassembled and in a box with a coffee can full of bolts. But I got it back together and drive it every day. Good luck

And for the top part you can sometimes reuse the window part if it is not ripped or leaking. Check out these guys for a new top
http://www.convertibletopguys.com I just bought a top and window for $340 to do a Caviler comes with good instructions and looks like pretty good quality
Old 09-18-2006, 07:43 PM
CarlessAndy
2nd Gear Member

I think my best suggestion would be source a 99+ engine for the car and just put that in. Or just do the pi swap, youll regret not doing it now when its so easy to work on with it out of the car.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Stalion415
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CarlessAndy

I think my best suggestion would be source a 99+ engine for the car and just put that in. Or just do the pi swap, youll regret not doing it now when its so easy to work on with it out of the car.
im 17 years old and this is my first car... i think the stock v8 will be fine for a first car... perhaps later i will do an engine swap (pi swap is almost the same price) but for now my goal is running andgetting it to look nice, or stock at least... i am going to go check out those tops... the thing i worry about is some of those aftermarket tops are so cheasy looking... i wish i could get my hands on a factory one... thanks gusy
Old 09-18-2006, 11:54 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Go to your local Upholstery pro and get a Cloth top like on the 03/04 Cobra...they are alot nicer then the vinyl.

Now i have to agree with not putting in the stock engine. Its out so let it rest in peace. It does not have much potential in stock form. I would find a PI Explorer engine. It has an aluminum block and will shave about 70lbs off the front. The only thing you need to do is get a PI Intake since the truck intake is different. Its a nice upgrade from stock and a direct swap using your computer and harness...you can't use the COPS though.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Stalion415
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

Go to your local Upholstery pro and get a Cloth top like on the 03/04 Cobra...they are alot nicer then the vinyl.

Now i have to agree with not putting in the stock engine. Its out so let it rest in peace. It does not have much potential in stock form. I would find a PI Explorer engine. It has an aluminum block and will shave about 70lbs off the front. The only thing you need to do is get a PI Intake since the truck intake is different. Its a nice upgrade from stock and a direct swap using your computer and harness...you can't use the COPS though.
how much will the cloth top cost me?

also you guys arent getting the point. Its a first car and i am not trying to put more money into it then it would cost to just buy one in better condition. I am lucky my dad didnt buy me a freggin v6 hehe... as for now we are trying to get it in and running. An engine swap isnt too much labor anyways my dad is a mechanic... but i dont think we are going to want that for a while... thanks for the suggestions keep them coming...

Quick Reply: 96 GT project thread *PICS*