4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

lifting a mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:26 AM
TREADMARKS

Default lifting a mustang

Experienced suspension help requested.

Vehicle is a 96 svt cobra with steeda stage 3 kit. (Sport springs, shocks, sway bars, rear control arms, subframe and cross brace).

Objective is to restore the original ride height, or maybe a little higher than stock to get more suspension travel and ground clearance as it's mission has changed. We would like to off road (back roads mostly, some dirt) just a little bit and the car is way too low as is.

My question is what spring and shock combination will give us the tallest ride height and the mostsuspension travel. All the springs I keep finding while searchingindicate they will lower the car.

Any ideas?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:27 AM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: lifting a mustang

U want to off-road a cobra?? get a jeep. ur best bet is switch everything back to stock to get back some ride height. ull have to custom make anything else if you want it higher than stock
Old 04-10-2008, 11:39 AM
jmsjags
2nd Gear Member

that's...different. hope u don't screw up ur car man
Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

It sounds like for your application, you're going to need to some fairly custom work.. I believe that GT springs would probably raise the car up slightly above the stock level of a Cobra, but to get it higher, you'd need to either shim the front springs (not a great idea, as it's going to change the steering/handling dynamics, and for the rears, probably the same... By shimming, it would mean you're either have to make thicker plates to mount on the top of the spring, so it makes with a completely flat surface, to make it easier for fitment... As for manufacturers, have you thoughts about contacting spring manufacturers?? Not necessarily auto spring manufacturers, but there are companies that specialize in springs.. I can't imagine they'd be too expensive, if you have all of the specifications.... Shocks, well, I don't know.. Once again, you'd have to find a set that is similar, at least in fitment (keep in mind, the fronts are Macpherson struts) which you could cross reference part numbers..

Other than that, I'd suggest beefing up your bushings, make sure your steering rack is in good order, and look for beefed up ball joints/tie rods..

Good luck, let us know how it works out..

JT
Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 AM
h0micide
1st Gear Member

Wow get a gt or even sixxer to off road with it DONT RUIN THAT COBRA!!! Ill take the steeda kit if u dont want them

Old 04-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

April fools was over a week ago, buddy.

If this isn't a joke then poor Cobra...
Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I'd love to see it, to be honest with you.. It's almost reminiscient of the 70's something Camaro I saw that had a Chevy 4x4 conversion, 42" tires, and I think it even had a big block.. It's not everyday you get to see something like that, and it takes a bit of work.. Maybe doing it to a Special Edition vehicle may not be completely sound, but everyone's got their own plans and motives..

JT
Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 PM
TREADMARKS

Sorry brothers, no joke. We bought the cobra new in 96 and it has 55,000 miles on it. It got a fresh engine rebuild by the dealer at 40k. (-) suspension components, new exhaust, fresh air, chip, 17 R wheels...it's worth 7,500 on a good day. Maybe lower with fuel prices climbing like they are.

I ride my motorcycle daily to work and back, 60 miles round trip. I take alot of backroads that are in pretty bad shape, some dirt. Hell, the expressway I take for a while is always under construction and debris is scattered everywhere. I need a poor weather vehicle and the cobra just sits there begging to be driven. I have too much money in it to sell it for 7500. it's paid for, runs great and has a solid chassis. A 4 point bar and a littleground clearance is just what it needs, to fit my needs.

So....sounds like slightly longer struts and some GT springs with urethane spacers???

member cherry 2000.....think like that.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Switch
1st Gear Member

I'll trade you cars... and you can lift mine :P
Old 04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I don't know if urethane spacers would be durable enough to handle a lot of excessive off road abuse, however, if you could either get some billet alluminum, or some steel, and stack it some how.. I wish I could draw, because I could at least give you a better idea... Think of the dampener mount that on the top of the strut assemble, that goes through the shock-tower.. You'd have to lengthen the studs to account for the extra material, but I don't see it being all that hard to do..

Urethane might be good to test out with, if you can get chunks of it..

JT

Quick Reply: lifting a mustang