MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   HELP!! Tranny making ticking noise! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/431408-help-tranny-making-ticking-noise.html)

BlackMUstang96GT 04-10-2008 01:57 PM

HELP!! Tranny making ticking noise!

I got home today and decided to go wash my car. I got on it alittle and rippedfrom1st to 2nd to 3rd and then shifted to fourth normally.I got down the road like a mile and when I down shifted into third it sounded like a clunk noise came from the transmission and I felt it in the shifter. So I immediatley came back home and listen to it. And on my way backit did the same thing.While it idles, it makes a ticking noise then if i rev it up alittle the ticking becomes faster. you can feel a vibration in the shifter.Is my tranny done? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

GodAmGT00 04-10-2008 02:12 PM

RE: HELP!! Tranny making ticking noise!

Your car = Broken...

Are you sure the ticking noise isn't coming from your engine?? If you're absolutely sure that it's your tranny, I don't think I've ever heard of that before, at least on a manual trans..

JT

Derf00 04-10-2008 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: BlackMUstang96GT

I got home today and decided to go wash my car. I got on it alittle and rippedfrom1st to 2nd to 3rd and then shifted to fourth normally.I got down the road like a mile and when I down shifted into third it sounded like a clunk noise came from the transmission and I felt it in the shifter. So I immediatley came back home and listen to it. And on my way backit did the same thing.While it idles, it makes a ticking noise then if i rev it up alittle the ticking becomes faster. you can feel a vibration in the shifter.Is my tranny done? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Throwout bearing and fork. Push your clutch in, ticking go away?

GodAmGT00 04-10-2008 02:14 PM

If the fork is broken, I don't hink that he would've been able to shift correctly to get it home after the first clunk... Although I do agree about the TOB..

Is there any additional slack or free play in the clutch pedal??

JT

BlackMUstang96GT 04-10-2008 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Derf00
Throwout bearing and fork. Push your clutch in, ticking go away?
Yea, it goes away when clutch is pressed in. I just replaced the clutch and throwout bearing the beginning of last summer tho.

BlackMUstang96GT 04-10-2008 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00
If the fork is broken, I don't hink that he would've been able to shift correctly to get it home after the first clunk... Although I do agree about the TOB..

Is there any additional slack or free play in the clutch pedal??
JT
No there is no slack in the pedal but it does stop making the noise when i press the clutch in, i cant believe the TOB went out already i just replaced it and the clutch the beginning of last summer.