MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   how do you disable pats (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/431820-how-do-you-disable-pats.html)

pipeguy 04-11-2008 12:49 PM

how do you disable pats

how can you disable pats, without having to go to the dealer, can you buy a programable hand held tuner, or can a car audio/alarm installed disable it, i need to disable it because my new- usedinstrument cluster will not let the car start, thanks.

OzzDOA 04-11-2008 12:57 PM

RE: how do you disable pats

You can swap the circuit board from your old cluster to the new cluster and that should fix the PATS problem and retain the correct mileage on the odometer.

chriswells78 04-11-2008 01:58 PM

You can disable it through SCT and Sniper. I don't know about any other brands of tuners but you probably can them too.

tbirdscwd 04-11-2008 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: chriswells78

You can disable it through SCT and Sniper. I don't know about any other brands of tuners but you probably can them too.
+1

bluepony4.6 04-11-2008 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: pipeguy

how can you disable pats, without having to go to the dealer, can you buy a programable hand held tuner, or can a car audio/alarm installed disable it, i need to disable it because my new- usedinstrument cluster will not let the car start, thanks.
I've had it done through the dealer, with a diablosport chip, and with an SCT xcalibrator2 through a reputable shop. Personally I prefer going through the dealer to get a system reflash (only cost me 40.00 in El Paso, TX). That way if the chip goes bad, the tuner fails or I decide to sell either, I can still drive my car.

I could not stand when I used the tuner or the chip to disable PATS because the THEFT light would still flash even though the car was running. It was so irritating that I removed the bulb for the theft light.

Getting your PATS disabled is not always a good thing. With your PATS disabled, anyone with a non-coded duplicate key or possibly a screwdriver can start your car and drive off with it. There would be no starter kill at all.

Get your system reflashed. It's by far the best option (and most likely the cheapest). Then buy a chip or tuner.

02TorchRedGT 04-11-2008 06:52 PM

Agree 100% with bluepony4.6

Sxynerd 04-11-2008 08:13 PM

Time to buy a good alarm...

pipeguy 04-12-2008 10:34 PM

how hard is it to switch the circuit boards, and what do they look like, another guy said he bought a bullit cluster and he swaped the white circuit boards and it all worked and kept the mileage like it was, thanks

Sxynerd 04-13-2008 12:08 AM

ORIGINAL: pipeguy

how hard is it to switch the circuit boards, and what do they look like, another guy said he bought a bullit cluster and he swaped the white circuit boards and it all worked and kept the mileage like it was, thanks

On a scale of 1-10 I'd say it would be a 2-3.

My search in google was [ "simco gauges" +instructions ] My result was a jegs page that had the link to instructions which are in PDF format so you'll need a reader.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...3-2024-707.pdf

If you don't know how to use the search function for an internet search Use [ "......" ] quotes to search your main topic. Then to narrow your search use [ + ] or [ - ], For example above, I wanted to search for "simco gauges" and to narrow it I wanted any web page to insure it included the key word [ instruction ] so I used a [ + ] equaling [ +instruction ]. If I wanted to narrow by exclusion I could have used the [ - ]. i.e. [ "Simco Gauges" +instructions +mustang -chevrolet ]