4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger (opinions wanted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Fobra
Banned

Default RE: Supercharger (opinions wanted)

the psi doesnt mean **** in all reality, bc were only talking 6-12. Power is what you need to watch along with rpms, bc our rods are trash, everything else is not half as bad as its made out to be. And as far a forged cranks go - they are good insurance for rpms, but ive seen stock cranks more than 1000 rwhp, your not going to break the stock crank, but you can break the rods stock if you over rev
Old 04-14-2008, 12:18 PM
grubiaco

Okay, I will consider the down pipe from MPH. Is there any other suggestions. Will I through a check engine light with this kit?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 PM
jmsjags
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grubiaco

Okay, I will consider the down pipe from MPH. Is there any other suggestions. Will I through a check engine light with this kit?
i was looking at that kit myself. what exactly does the down pipe do?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

if your talking about the power pipe its just the pipe that connects from the inlet of the blower to into the fender where your filter/MAF sit. the stock one from vortech is a dinky little plastic one and upgrading to the 4" power pipe picks you up about 2-3 psi, which intern equals a good 20-30rwhp.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlg32281

It has never been proven. I know plenty of people that have torn up their bottom end on 6psi. The only way I would ever run a SC on a stock bottom end would be to run it at 4-5psi and have it tuned w/ a very conservative tune and lower the rev limtter. I personally wouldn't run a SC on my stock bottom and I have a forged crank. I'm very conservative though, I don't risk things. I'm all about doing it right the first time.
What do you mean its never been proven? Litreally tens of thousands of FI GTs don't prove anything?

Simply put, this is incorrect thinking. Is it possible to blow up a car on 6 PSI? Sure. But its going to be due to either the tune, or a prexisiting situation in which case the car was going to blow up anyway.

There is absolutly no reason you cannot run 8-10 PSI on a completely stock 2v, let alone on a stock 2v motor. The only thing to consider is your current mods vs horspower, that is, you cannot safely make 400 WHP on a stock car + FI... but you can do so on a boltons/intercooled/FI car with ease.

Its ALL in the tune. You "know" many people that have blown up a car on 6 psi... they must have been compeletly stupid and had terrible tunes. I literally beat on my car every time it comes out of the garage (that is, go WOT and shift at redline every time it comes out). With over 2 years having it installed at 420 WHP and 10 PSI, I would say its proven... and this is with no intercooler.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 PM
jmsjags
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

if your talking about the power pipe its just the pipe that connects from the inlet of the blower to into the fender where your filter/MAF sit. the stock one from vortech is a dinky little plastic one and upgrading to the 4" power pipe picks you up about 2-3 psi, which intern equals a good 20-30rwhp.
wow the pipe only costs $200. so that's like $8 per HP! [:-]

will that be too much boost for my car though? i haven't upgraded suspension or rear-end or anything
Old 04-15-2008, 08:42 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

you'll be fine with the power pipe. It should put you in the 10psi range, but i would stop there. Definately a worth while upgrade and it looks so much nicer than that crappy plastic piece!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

+1 for the power pipe. Its not gonna make you push any more air, it will just be easier on your blower. The psi increase is shown because the decreased strain on the intake side of the blower. The less restriction (power it uses to ingest the air on the intake side) will translate into higher boost ratings on the other side. Your blower will still be operating at the same rpms as before and flowing the same CFM, but it will be a lot easier on the blower itself, thus releasing a few more horsepower.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 PM
jmsjags
2nd Gear Member

so how hard is it to install the kit? would i be able to do it myself or would i need to take it somewhere? (i'm not exactly the greatest mechanic in the world)

and also how much HP would an intercooler add on top of the supercharger?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:03 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmsjags

so how hard is it to install the kit? would i be able to do it myself or would i need to take it somewhere? (i'm not exactly the greatest mechanic in the world)

and also how much HP would an intercooler add on top of the supercharger?
You don't have to be a full blown mechanic to install a supercharger system. You can do it in a single afternoon or stretch it for a couple of days if you really want to take your time. If you just aren't comfortable tackling an install like that and you don't know anyone willing to help you, then I'd take it somewhere for the install. The last thing you want to do is get halfway through an install and either get stuck or screw something up and have it towed to a shop. Luckily, a non-intercooled sc install is pretty basic.

How much an intercooler helps power is dependent on how much pressure your running and the average temp your driving in. The more pressure, the more heat created, the more an intercooler is gonna help. Along with that, it the ambient temp is 100 dgrees on average, then its gonna benefit you a lot to have an intercooler to keep the intake temp down, so your ECM doesn't have to pull lots of timing to prevent detonation.

Intercooling whether it be air to air, water to air, or meth/water injection, will produce more power per psi than non-intercooled and it will allow you to run more timing and leave less chances of detonation. Its the way to go.

Quick Reply: Supercharger (opinions wanted)