4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ticking noise w/ VIDEO- What is it??

Old 04-19-2008, 11:26 PM
QuarterMileMaster
1st Gear Member

Default Ticking noise w/ VIDEO- What is it??

I've posted plenty of times about this noise, but finally... here is a link to a video I took this morning.

'98 Cobra

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/GTMustang17/?action=view&current=20080419090519.flv

The ticking is always louder when the car is started for the first timeof the day, and gets much quieter when the car is at normal operating temp. I changed all 32 of my lifter last week and the noise did not go away. Today I put the car on a lift, and tried to listen to it with a stethescope for about 30 mins... can't pinpoint it exactly. Resonates through everything. Anyone had a similar problem?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:40 PM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Ticking noise w/ VIDEO- What is it??

Your car is so loud, I can't really here anything other than It sounds like your belt is squeeking.. I have a alittle bit of a tick, but i believe it 's my coil packs making the sound. My engine makes somemany different sounds, it's hard to tell if it's normal or not. DO you have good oil pressure ?? Do you have a tuner and are screwing around with the timing ??? I read a post back with someone who had a issue sort of like your and it was the timing belt. Check back a month or so and the thread is under the 4.6 post.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:47 PM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Did it affect anything w/ your stang. I've had that tick for awhile, but always thought it was my coil pack,injectors. When I got my car tuned, it's seemed to get allot quiter. Maybe it's not the same thing. My stang has good oil pressure, temp is good. Curious to see what happens for you.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:50 PM
QuarterMileMaster
1st Gear Member

Yeah the video pretty much sucks... sorry. But the main part of the noise is when i put the camera behind the front tire. That's where you can hear it the best. No I don't have a tuner and my oil pressure is good.

I can hear the noise pretty much everywhere but mainly the top end around the heads. If my timing was wrong, could it make a ticking noise? Like, if my timing was too advanced.

It's stroked, should there be any changes to the timing?? Anyone?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:54 PM
QuarterMileMaster
1st Gear Member

I was thinking about getting a tuner soon anyway. I hate buying replacement parts to throw at a problem crossin gmy fingers hoping it'll fix it. At least if I buy a tuner to mess with I won't be so disappointed if it doesn't work cause I'll actually get something out of it.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:06 AM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

When I got my first predator, I screwed w/ the timing. The more I advanced, the louder the ticking. Again, I was told by a mech it could be fr the injectors or coil pacs. My ticking isn't a bangining sound, just a fine mech. tick. It use to drive me crazy when id pull up to a wendys and could here the tic loud. but again, once I tuned it it got allot quiter. Sorry IM no help, but the same crap bothers me. I just read a article on this page about a ticking noise. bad drivers side head, but it was for the GT's. Oh, just to let you know, I tried all the miracle oils to get the tick to go away, none worked(slick 50, ect).
Old 04-20-2008, 12:25 AM
QuarterMileMaster
1st Gear Member

Yeah... already waisted plenty of money on miracle oils. I know exactly what you mean about the tick at Wendy's. Haha. It drives me insane. I think I'm going to get a tuner from Brenspeed. Did you do all the tuning yourself? So does it not bother you anymore?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:48 AM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

I put on a sc last year and the place who did it used SCT only. So I got a new tuner. I had it prof. tuned/ wide band. I suggest you sdo the same. Also, find out what your local shops use b4 you buy. Predator was easy to use. The SCT is alittle more complicated. I don't screw w/ my tune anymore. I've learned the hard way, plus 2 new o2 sensoers at $88 a pc. Thinking of that, don't ever by aftermarket o2, stick w/ oem fr ford.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:32 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

Does the noise change when you work the clutch
Old 04-20-2008, 05:21 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a pulley to me.
It has that high chirp to it that pulleys make when they start to go.
Could also be the alternater bearing.
Generally the front bearing goes because it has the most force on it.

Take the belt off and spin the alternator by hand.
Does it squeek a little?

Idler pully is another suspect...

Hig pitched squeeks are difficult to find with a stethescope...

Search this Thread