4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

three valve V10 in my 96 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:12 AM
mcgilvrey007
1st Gear Member

Default three valve V10 in my 96 GT

[align=left]i would like to know some opinions about putting a new triton V10 in my mustang. I dont think it would be too difficult and the 50% increase in displacement doesnt sound like a bad idea to me. i would add forged rods and low compression pistons and run a custom turbo set up that i wanna build.
[/align]
Old 04-20-2008, 12:22 AM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: three valve V10 in my 96 GT

Sounds like a fabrication nightmare. The added weight would probably be one of the biggest obstacles, along with a nightmare in fitment issues along with wiring and God knows what else..

Have at it if you've got more money than big oil, but honestly, you'd probably be just as happy with a forged, FI motor. Being unique is one thing, but when you tell someone how much you spent on your conversion, they'll cringe.

Overly complicated motor transplants FTL.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:32 AM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

i would love to see this done but with more of an all motor design in mind. but, you would be looking at spending a decent amount of money. i would 1. send the heads out for cncing (shouldnt be hard for a company to add another cylinder to the end of their 4.6 3v program) 2. send the cams out for a good regrind to a decent street-strip grind (comp or another custom cam manufacterer should be able to also add another cylinders worth of lobes to their 4.6 3v cams without to much work). 3. not sure on the motor specs but i would believe the rods and pistons would be of the same spec as either a 5.4 or 4.6 3v, so purchase 2 more sets as im sure the crank is already a forged piece. i believe you could more than likely make over 500 horsepower with this setup, your biggest headache though will be in the tuning-computer aspect of the build.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:16 AM
mcgilvrey007
1st Gear Member

honestly i dont think it will be quite as difficult as what i just finished, and if im able to do it correctly, ill have a street car capable of beating a terminator without having to use high boost to achieve. plus those power levels can be attained with pump gas,
Old 04-21-2008, 07:32 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

ford fit one into a 99-04 model sounded awsome and went like hell
Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 AM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mcgilvrey007

[align=left]i would like to know some opinions about putting a new triton V10 in my mustang. I dont think it would be too difficult and the 50% increase in displacement doesnt sound like a bad idea to me. i would add forged rods and low compression pistons and run a custom turbo set up that i wanna build.
[/align]
It was a big enough pain in the A** to put a 5.4 3v into an 03 GT let alone the V10. If you give it further consideration, you should probably chop the whole front end off and fab a tubular one(good luck finding a hood), you'll need the space, and the fact that you'd have to move that engine forward 4-6" which would push the radiator forward the same, you'd need custom headers, have to redo the entire master cylinder/ brake set up, suspension to compensate the weight, and the wiring system(not going to get in to that one), change the ecu if you could find one that fits(which would require the wiring harness to the ecu be changed), and probably looking at doing something with the steering shaft that's in the way for everything too. These are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more, much more. But if you do pull it off I'd be first in line to give you props! good luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:04 AM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeedStangSpeed

[/align]
It was a big enough pain in the A** to put a 5.4 3v into an 03 GT let alone the V10. If you give it further consideration, you should probably chop the whole front end off and fab a tubular one(good luck finding a hood), you'll need the space, and the fact that you'd have to move that engine forward 4-6" which would push the radiator forward the same, you'd need custom headers, have to redo the entire master cylinder/ brake set up, suspension to compensate the weight, and the wiring system(not going to get in to that one), change the ecu if you could find one that fits(which would require the wiring harness to the ecu be changed), and probably looking at doing something with the steering shaft that's in the way for everything too. These are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more, much more. But if you do pull it off I'd be first in line to give you props! good luck.
Oh yea 1 last thing, where would the turbo(s) go?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

honestly i dont think it will be quite as difficult as what i just finished, and if im able to do it correctly, ill have a street car capable of beating a terminator without having to use high boost to achieve. plus those power levels can be attained with pump gas,
Are you serious??? U think its going to take a V10 on LOW BOOST to beat a Termie? Not to be disrespectful or any thing but if you have the money go for it lol, if u think its going to take that much to beat a Termie. there are plenty of 2v gt's running around that can lay an ASSWHOPPIN an a termie with LOW BOST

Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 AM
jlw2387
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ryan86272

Are you serious??? U think its going to take a V10 on LOW BOOST to beat a Termie? Not to be disrespectful or any thing but if you have the money go for it lol, if u think its going to take that much to beat a Termie. there are plenty of 2v gt's running around that can lay an ASSWHOPPIN an a termie with LOW BOST

+1, Im at 8 psi and about 50 more rwhp than a Terminator.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 PM
mcgilvrey007
1st Gear Member

sry, i meant that it could beat the modified 600 or 700 rwhp terminators. the turbos would go where the back seat was. but im just gonna buy a cobra motor, i'll try to do something like this after i get outta college

Quick Reply: three valve V10 in my 96 GT