4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

From draw thru to blow thru?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Default RE: From draw thru to blow thru?

ORIGINAL: Ryan86272

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

oh yeah im not into it for the sound (hell i have an SQ trim lol), ive just heard of guys talking about switching to a blow thru and it feels like a whole new car. I was seriously thinking about it, until like you said i started adding up the parts and it totalled close to a grand. Thats my converter right there! thanks for the input guys.
I guess I could be wrong but I don't see it costing $1k but either way I would focus on other things first. A stall would make a huge difference for you and I think you would be a lot happier investing the money there.
300ish + for the HPX Mass air and Housing..
400ish + for the Dyno Tuning
????ish + for fixing what he needs fix'd with his old setup.

i woudlnt doubt it cost close to 1k... If the only upside is the BPV or BOV sound not worth it lol....
yeah thats pretty much how i came up with a grand. well besides the sound, if you are experience backwash into the blower than this is supposed to solve it. But im only at 400/400 so i doubt going through this project will really matter that much. I could see higher hp applications running high boost really benefiting from it.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ryan86272

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

oh yeah im not into it for the sound (hell i have an SQ trim lol), ive just heard of guys talking about switching to a blow thru and it feels like a whole new car. I was seriously thinking about it, until like you said i started adding up the parts and it totalled close to a grand. Thats my converter right there! thanks for the input guys.
I guess I could be wrong but I don't see it costing $1k but either way I would focus on other things first. A stall would make a huge difference for you and I think you would be a lot happier investing the money there.
300ish + for the HPX Mass air and Housing..
400ish + for the Dyno Tuning
????ish + for fixing what he needs fix'd with his old setup.

i woudlnt doubt it cost close to 1k... If the only upside is the BPV or BOV sound not worth it lol....
Holy smokes, $400 for a retune? You need a new tuner if that's what you're paying.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:24 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

i pay $300 to be exact
Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

i pay $300 to be exact
Well I've haven't been re-tuned yet but the shop charges $150/hr so I'm hoping it won't take this guy 2 hours to re-tune this thing. It didn't take him that long the first time around...

It just seems a tad excessive for just a re-tune. Could just be me though.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:43 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

yeah i thought so at first too, but then i compared to other shops in my area. They are all relatively close, but i wouldnt trust my car with anybody else than this shop so i dont mind paying.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=90

This is where i am getting tuned. go to their forum and he puts up the cars he Dyno's kinda cool. Be a good idea on this forums to have a Dyno Sheet/ MOD Section.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:10 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Well I guess I'm luck my shops prices are no where near that. I got tuned at HiTech Motorsports which is $550 w/chip, flat rate (up to 3 hours) and then $150/hr if you're just going for a retune.

Edit: I understand what you are saying the stanger, if you have a shop you trust, it's worth a little extra (to a certain point)
Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If your tuner knows what he is doing there is no way your picking up power with this "mod". its kind of like the difference between a RAI and a CAI... they do the exact same thing just in a different wayand its all in your head (the performance difference wise).

Put it this way, if your car is correctly tuned now going to a blow thru is going to add very little/no performance value. the only advantage I see would be to be able to run a air cleaner directly mounted to the blower so you have literally zero intake restrction, resulting in more boost... however at that point you would deal with underhood temperature issues anyway, negating any increace. From the setups I have seen the procharger inlets are just as long and restrictive as the vortech/paxton ones that are draw thru, and generally speaking (so long as you have the correct maf) the maf itself is not the main source of restriction anyway, so getting rid of it in the intake tract (to the blower) does nothing.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:50 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

yeah i hear ya. im running a LMAF and 42# injectors. its completely dyno tuned by one of the best tuners in NJ so if its not setup right now i guess it never will be. i just re-read one post over on modularpowerhouse about a guy picking up 27rwhp when converting...and then he added in oh and that was with an intercooler...doh!