4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

500hp on stock motor? & Boost gauge question...

Old 04-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Brack18327

Default RE: 500hp on stock motor? & Boost gauge question...

I was losing probably a second or so off the line from burning out...still trying to get used to takin off quick w/o burnin up the clutch...
Old 04-22-2008, 04:16 PM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

If your boost gauge isn't going past 0 then you also have a problem with your supercharger. A stock series II saleen blower hits about 6psi and about 300 rwhp.

You should be able to run mid 13's with what you currently have. I would HIGHLY recommend against buying more expensive upgrades to boost power until you can handle what you currently have. If you think you were upset when you got a 14.7 with a 300 rwhp car, just think how you're going to feel if you spend $5,000 on a new supercharger setup and end up running a 15.x.

A stock short block can generally handle about 400rwhp if it is tuned properly. At that HP and above though, you are at risk of grenading your engine if anything goes wrong or if your tuner didn't do it JUST right. Generally, if you want to run more than 8-9 psi, you need to look at a forged short block.

You shouldn't have to go to Ford to get your computer re-flashed. Just go get a dyno tune. You'll either need to buy a chip or a hand-held tuner (diablo or SCT). With a chip, it overrides the computer flash and with the tuners, it re-flashes the computer, so going to Ford for a stock flash just wastes money. Especially since you'd then have to be really careful not to get on it until you got it to a customer dyno tune shop as it wouldn't be set up for the super charger anymore and it'd be really easy to go lean and go BOOM!

Really though... figure out why you're not seeing any boost. You should be getting 6psi and TRUST ME, even at 6psi, you feel it with a roots blower. I know because I currently have the exact same blower (Saleen Series II) on my car.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Brack18327

Alright. I'll see if I can get my tuner guy to figure out whats wrong with it.

You really think i'd run a 15.x by swapping for a new sc?
So far everyone i've talked to has said my blower sucks, its inefficient, too hot, "get rid of it and get a centrifugal sc!" Hell, when i took it to a mustang shop here in town they opened the hood and went, "Oh, a baby blower." lol
Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

go take some pics of your engine bay and where the boost vac line is going.

we better not see a cardboard box with SALEEN SC written with a sharpie under there
Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Brack18327

Hahaha! No noway. I'll do that tonight and post later on around 11pm or so. I drove my blazer to work today or else i'd do it now.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brack18327

Alright. I'll see if I can get my tuner guy to figure out whats wrong with it.

You really think i'd run a 15.x by swapping for a new sc?
So far everyone i've talked to has said my blower sucks, its inefficient, too hot, "get rid of it and get a centrifugal sc!" Hell, when i took it to a mustang shop here in town they opened the hood and went, "Oh, a baby blower." lol
Yes, I think that if the best you can run with a 6psi blower is 14.7 then your times will only get worse with more power.

As for those who say "that blower sucks, its inefficient, too hot, "get rid of it and get a centrifugal sc!" Well, in a lot of ways their right. But at the same time, that "baby blower" makes peak boost at 1500 RPM's. that's a LOT more fun on the street. With a few, relatively inexpensive, upgrades, it'll also get you as close to the limit of your stock short block as you want to get. a $87 pully will get you from 6psi to 9psi and up around 350rwhp. Do you really want to spend several thousand dollars on a new blower just so you can run the same HP because your block can't handle any more?

Figure out why your boost isn't reading right or working right... then learn to control the power you have and maybe add that pulley. Then, once you've mastered that, spend your cash on a forged shortblock. You'll then probably be able to sell the Saleen blower for at least enough to make a Centri or KB blower with bigger boost a bit more affordable.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:26 PM
MustangWilly

GO to ford, get a set of STOCK Pullies..... My guess would be your runnign Under-drive puillies, which UNDERPULL accessories which would inturn underpull youtr SC. Try STOCK pullies and a Dyno Tune to get started.... that should show you some numbers....

Ohter than that, Gears and a driver mod should wax that WRX.... over and over and over again, if you can launch that is....
Old 04-22-2008, 06:38 PM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangWilly

GO to ford, get a set of STOCK Pullies..... My guess would be your runnign Under-drive puillies, which UNDERPULL accessories which would inturn underpull youtr SC. Try STOCK pullies and a Dyno Tune to get started.... that should show you some numbers....

Ohter than that, Gears and a driver mod should wax that WRX.... over and over and over again, if you can launch that is....
Actually, I really doubt that the problem is due to underdrive pulleys. Lowering his boost, yes, but not making it so that it "doesn't even reach 0".

I'm betting there's something wrong with the bypass.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 PM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

I say sellit and get a 96-98 Cobra. A stock cobra will walk all over a 14.7. 450hp is the absolute max for a reliable stock bottom end.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Brack18327

Ok, Here's some of those pics of the boost line and boost unit that goes to the gauge:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...7/IMG_0125.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...7/IMG_0122.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...7/IMG_0121.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...7/IMG_0126.jpg

After tonight i think somethings not working right. I was messing with a buddy of mine coming home from a night class I'm taking and he drives a stock 03 GT and he was keeping up with me the whole time. I was floored. That can't be right!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 500hp on stock motor? & Boost gauge question...