4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone know the cause of this?

Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Pheonix
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone know the cause of this?

So my friends and I were participating in a local road rallye in my 03 Mustang GT Convertible and we're booking it down the roads a bit. I'm slowing down for a turn and start to turn onto a road branching 90 degrees from the one we're currently on and in mid-turn my car dies and my steering stiffens up scaring the hell out of all of us. Luckily I got the car started back up quickly and barely avoided the ditch. This happened twice in the rallye only the second time I didn't get it started in time and went sliding through gravel. Anyone know what could have caused this? Happened about a month and a half ago that night only and hasn't happened since. Friends and I couldn't put a finger on it. The car has some small mods on it... K&N FIPK, Tuned (With Diablo Predator tune), Bosch Platinum+2 spark plugs, Flowmaster 40 mufflers.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone know the cause of this?

any engine lights? With the limited amount of info, i would say something along the lines of fuel related, maybe the pump
Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Rusticgt
1st Gear Member

The reason why your steering stiffened up is because your motor was dead and was no longer turning the power steering pump, reasons for it could be the plugs you're using... never liked those Bosch plugs.. fuel filters... fuel pump.... you're coils... or something around that area... also check your mass air sensor.... need some more info before we can diagnose..
Old 04-22-2008, 07:28 PM
bigmoose15
2nd Gear Member

none of my fords has ever run well with bosch plugs, they suck. and the +2 and +4 versions are marketing scams for suckers. I would swap out those bosch plugs for some NGK coppers.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:46 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if I'd say bosch spark plugs suck, but, they're not for our cars, the issue is this and I found out the hard way, the stock plug has about 1/2" of threads, the bosch, and I check several of them, have about an 1" of threads, I put them in not paying any attention to this, and heard the pistons tapping against them, so if this happened and the tapping is light you may not of noticed, or it happening at higher RPMs, you may not be getting very good spark. So with that being said, I'd start with them.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 PM
BlackMUstang96GT
1st Gear Member

Yea swap out the bosch plugs for motorcraft or ngk.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

It has nothing to do with your plugs. I don't have bosch plugs, I have NGK platinums, and I too had that happen. The difference is it happened as I was approaching a red light, and I almost ended up in the middle of the intersection! It's happened to me a few times.

I think it's electrical. I had my battery & alt checked at auto zone, advanced, & Napa......they all said the same thing, which was Battery is bad, and the alternator runs perfect but somehow has a bad diode. I replaced the battery (but haven't had a chance to do the alternator) and the car runs much better now (my hesitation issue that has lingered is mostly gone). However I don't know if it solved the weird stalling issue because obviously it's not something I can duplicate on a whim.

So in short, get your batt & alt tested.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

ok i'm going to go out on asmall limb here but i really, reallythink this could be your problem. Check your IAC, when i first got my car, everynow and then, then once every two months then once a month then once a week it would die when braking/braking and turning at the same time and I would turn it back on and it would start and run just fine. After that it would start to die just after start up like a common iac problem. I replaced it for $50 and in 10mins in the parking lotat autozone and it has never died while braking or turning/braking since and it was probably 6 months ago. How many miles does your car have? if you were braking it would almost bet you that this is your problem. at least just take the two bolts off and look how dirty it is inside. if it's black just get a new one and don't try to clean it.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

The answer is... No one knows... we have not enough info

We can give you a long list of what it could be. With no check engine codes its hard to troubleshoot this.

E.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

maybe you didnt down shift and stalled? Unless your an auto obviously.

Search this Thread