4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Headers Demystified! HP Gains or Not..

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: Headers Demystified! HP Gains or Not..

ORIGINAL: Blk N Wht GT

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

What type of dyno?
It was a Chassis Dyno
I understand that, what company? Mustangdyno? Dynojet?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

What type of dyno?
It was a Chassis Dyno
Ummm.. I guess I have no other information for you. I thought there were 3 main types of dynos, Chassis, Mustang, and Dynojet. Maybe I'm mistaken..
Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

What type of dyno?
It was a Chassis Dyno
Ummm.. I guess I have no other information for you. I thought there were 3 main types of dynos, Chassis, Mustang, and Dynojet. Maybe I'm mistaken..
Mustang and dynojet are a chassis dyno
Oh Well
Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Hmm im not liking the H pipe with the packs from an idle/rev but when you get on it it sounds mean as hell.

Anyways thanks for the comparison. I almost think the sound difference alone is worth it because longtubes just make it sound that much meaner.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

dynojet, mustang dyno, dyno dynamics?

Do you have a pic of the dyno sheet? I would like to see your a/f ratio etc. What is your tune like? I would have been interested to see what the car would do tuned both before and after as well etc/
Old 04-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

My car has a Procharger. I installed BBkLTs and catted-mid pipe. There was very little difference in performance. 385 rwhp/370 rwtq before and 385 rwhp/368 rwtq after. But the runs were months apart on different dynos so the data is somewhat suspect. I was running rich so I had the car re-tuned. The tuner was very conservative so I'm now running 370 rwhp/377 rwtq. But, the horspower and torque curves changed. I gained 15-20 rwhp mid-range and reach peak torque much earlier. It is definitely felt when shifting gears.

I'm not sure where people get the 25-30 rwhp gain for LTs.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Eagle2000GT

My car has a Procharger. I installed BBkLTs and catted-mid pipe. There was very little difference in performance. 385 rwhp/370 rwtq before and 385 rwhp/368 rwtq after. But the runs were months apart on different dynos so the data is somewhat suspect. I was running rich so I had the car re-tuned. The tuner was very conservative so I'm now running 370 rwhp/377 rwtq. But, the horspower and torque curves changed. I gained 15-20 rwhp mid-range and reach peak torque much earlier. It is definitely felt when shifting gears.

i've been preaching this for awhile, but you just can't tell it to the people that post the manufacturer claims as their "proof". i picked up 9RWHP on a BUILT and blown car from my LTs with an otherwise finished exhaust. that's the best possible scenerio for the best gains and i only got 9. check my photo gallery for the before and after gains, she's since gotten a few more things to make her faster though
Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

Hmm im not liking the H pipe with the packs from an idle/rev but when you get on it it sounds mean as hell.

Anyways thanks for the comparison. I almost think the sound difference alone is worth it because longtubes just make it sound that much meaner.
I like the sound but then again, I don't really have anything to compare it to. I wanted to get an o/r X pipe just to see how that sounds with the magnapacks because some people were saying that straight through mufflers sound better with an x and chambered with an h. (or also keep the h pipe and switch the mufflers.. there are sooo many different setups!) I just want to find the one that sounds the best (to me).
Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

dynojet, mustang dyno, dyno dynamics?

Do you have a pic of the dyno sheet? I would like to see your a/f ratio etc. What is your tune like? I would have been interested to see what the car would do tuned both before and after as well etc/
I don't know about the dyno brand. I could post a pic of the dyno sheet if you want. The a/f is lean up till 3k then gets richer and drops down to 12:1 after that then gradually heads toward 11:1. I believe 13:1 is the target a/f ratio for n/a motors correct?

My sct xcal3 tuner is with the UPS guy right now somewhere in transit to my house. I will post up numbers after I have the tune on.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Eagle2000GT

My car has a Procharger. I installed BBk LTs and catted-mid pipe. There was very little difference in performance. 385 rwhp/370 rwtq before and 385 rwhp/368 rwtq after. But the runs were months apart on different dynos so the data is somewhat suspect. I was running rich so I had the car re-tuned. The tuner was very conservative so I'm now running 370 rwhp/377 rwtq. But, the horspower and torque curves changed. I gained 15-20 rwhp mid-range and reach peak torque much earlier. It is definitely felt when shifting gears.

Okay, so maybe I was wrong assuming more power increase for s/c'd motors. I just thought that would make sense. And yeah, I've never heard or seen anyone claiming 25-30 with LT's.. Loads of crap. My midrange did notice an increase throughout as well. My torqure "curve" is more of a flat line from 2k up to about 5k (I have 90% at 2k, peaks btwn 3800 and 4500, then starts dropping off slightly). I love it!

Quick Reply: Headers Demystified! HP Gains or Not..