4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CA Legal Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:27 PM
bikemikeb

Default CA Legal Mustang

Ok, so I wanted to do headers for my car, I haven't found anywhere or anyone who can tell me where I can get a pair of CA legal headers. Can you guys help? Also, what other kind of engine mods can I do and still pass smog? Not like the CAI and underdrives, but like cams and such. Any help is mucho apriciated.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:03 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CA Legal Mustang

JBA shorty's are the only CA smog legal headers for our cars. There are no cams or anything along those lines that are approved. There are a few supercharger kits that are legal as long as they are installed per manufacturer specs and stay around 8-10psi depending on the kit.

You could do cams/heads and other internals as long as you don't go too radical on the cams. A good tuner can make it pass the sniffer, but if you roll into a smog shop and your car is idleing like a drag car, they are gonna know somethings up. The biggest thing for aftermarket stuff is that everything thats visible has a CARB certification. If it doesn't, its not legal in CA. If you are curious about a part check out the website database of aftermarket parts approved for CA.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

haha.. I said, SCREW LEGALITY! BBK Long Tubes baby!! No cats FTW
Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Burtonsnow157
3rd Gear Member

i go with black and white on this one lol. . . cali isnt exactly the best state to have a muscle car lol
Old 04-24-2008, 03:06 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blk N Wht GT

haha.. I said, SCREW LEGALITY! BBK Long Tubes baby!! No cats FTW

A good direction until you get pulled over and sent to the smog ref. Have fun swapping back to stock manifolds when you get the ticket plus all the fees. If your gonna mess around with **** thats not smog legal, don't shoot for the parts with the most time consuming + expensive installs.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:27 AM
yellow02gt
1st Gear Member

ya i just put bbkL/T's on my car... with cats though it's not really that much louder which is nice, don't wanna attract to much attention to my self. there not that hard to install actually, just a pain... you can do it in about 2 days maybe less.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:11 AM
bjh061487
3rd Gear Member

a stock mustang is the only street legal mustang in cali ... or so it seems
Old 04-24-2008, 01:18 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bjh061487

a stock mustang is the only street legal mustang in cali ... or so it seems
Its a pain in the ***, but you can make it work. If you keep the exhaust to a reasonal volume (ie no off road pipe) and don't mess around with **** like front license plates or dark window tint or driving like an idiot, then they have no reason to pull you over. And no reason to make you pop the hood. You can get away with cams and heads, since it will still look stock from the outside as long as they aren't crazy N/A grinds loping all over the place.

I don't see why people mess around with tons of bolt ons that on average end up costing about 2500 bucks when said and done., when they could just save up a little longer and get a blower, be street legal, and have in the 350-400rwhp range.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:59 PM
bikemikeb

Guys, thanks for the info. i can't wait to get those headers now. i gotta save up some cash now. hahahaha. ok, im getting a cf dual friction clutch installed. you think thats to much for a stock engine? i got the rear end and the drag slicks. i don't think that would make a difference on tranny load but i really don't know.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:53 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The DF clutch will be fine on your car and you'll be glad you upgraded when you have more power down the road. You should be fine running that clutch and slicks as long as your rear end is built. If not, plan on snapping some axles when you start launching the hell out of it.

Quick Reply: CA Legal Mustang