4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

GT spoiler delete......

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 AM
bolt.com
1st Gear Member

Default GT spoiler delete......

Anybody have pics of their GT with the spoiler removed? Also.........Im figuring it takes a trip to the body shop, so what kind of $$ are we talking here????
Old 04-26-2008, 08:22 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: GT spoiler delete......

It's a wing, not a spoiler; it takes a 10 mm deep socket to remove the nutson the 4 studs that fasten it;sometimes the paint is undamaged when it's removed and people have plugged to holes with a variety of push in caps...[/align][/align]If the paint is damaged when you take it off you'll need to have the holes filled with glass and the deck lid repainted, expect to pay $150 to $200 for a cheap job, $400 to $600 to have it done right...[/align]
Old 04-26-2008, 02:44 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

When I moved my wing back it had damaged clear coat around it's edges and it buffed out OK at the body shop.
The paint did fade and you can see a little color difference from where I moved it back to from where it was, also I noticed a considerable "tan line" from where my '99 wing shaded the sun and you could see color difference there from paint fade as well.

A couple things to consider to get it done right.

Lynn
Old 04-26-2008, 05:26 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

I removed the spoiler and filled the holes with the black push in caps.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:33 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

dont do it!! lol
Old 04-26-2008, 05:42 PM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

I went to the store, bought some sealing washers, bolts, bolt covers, nuts, and some rubber washers. This is how it turned out.

It wasn't perfect. Minor paint damage. But I'm okay with it. I'll end up repainting it later on anyway. Visibility is so much better, and quite frankly, it makes the car much smoother looking.

I've had nothing but problems posting in this thread. I've had to reload, refresh, and do everything under the sun. What a hassle... if it weren't for the awesome community here...

Anyway, the black plastic the bolt covers is made out of matches the chin spoiler and grille delete, so that was a happy accident. This mod will cost you about 10$. And for me, it was better then shaving and repainting, since it's cheaper and gives that "mad max I did it myself/function over form" look. =)
Old 04-26-2008, 07:01 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aynjell

I went to the store, bought some sealing washers, bolts, bolt covers, nuts, and some rubber washers. This is how it turned out.

It wasn't perfect. Minor paint damage. But I'm okay with it. I'll end up repainting it later on anyway. Visibility is so much better, and quite frankly, it makes the car much smoother looking.

I've had nothing but problems posting in this thread. I've had to reload, refresh, and do everything under the sun. What a hassle... if it weren't for the awesome community here...

Anyway, the black plastic the bolt covers is made out of matches the chin spoiler and grille delete, so that was a happy accident. This mod will cost you about 10$. And for me, it was better then shaving and repainting, since it's cheaper and gives that "mad max I did it myself/function over form" look. =)
Looks good[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
I was trying to post pic's but gave up[:@]. My plugs are the ones some use to secure the chin spoiler.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:23 PM
smoke96
2nd Gear Member

im takin off my wing and replacing my bumper with a sixxer bumper. also taking off the gt 4.6 badges.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:34 PM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

I didn't care for the push pins. They didn't stay in and didn't properly seal the hole. And I hold my chin spoiler on with bolts, sealer washers and nuts. I don't like pushpins. They don't really do anything "right".
Old 04-26-2008, 07:36 PM
tim2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Kind of a side note to removing your rear spoiler. When I bought mine, it did not have one on it so I recently bought one and put it on. Anyways, the car feels alot more stable at highway speeds now than it did without the spoiler. I like the looks of it without it on there, but the car drives a little better with one on there. My $0.02!

Quick Reply: GT spoiler delete......