4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Honeycomb hood scoop

Old 04-26-2008, 08:15 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Honeycomb hood scoop

Good luck with keeping the water out, your car will run like crap when the COP's get wet from when you wash it or when it rains. I hope you figured out how to keep the water out or going to be in for a world of hurt.

Lynn
Old 04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bjh061487

if you hate how ford made them why did you get one in the first place?
I didn't. Re read!>u
Old 04-26-2008, 09:14 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jbauer
I hate how ford riced it out from the factory.
I hate to tell you this, but all car manufacturers have done the fake hood/brake scoop thing on muscle cars long before the terms "riced it out" "ricer" or what ever became a word or definition of a car and have done so probably long before you ever born.

You gonna tell the '69 CJ Mach 1 guys that their cars are all riced out with their fake hood scoops and break scoops?

Because that is exactly what you are saying and calling them as well if you want to get technical.

Lynn
Old 04-26-2008, 09:16 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

I dont see anything wrong with having fake scoops?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:17 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Good for you. Now if we can just figure out a way to fix the side scoops.
i bought a 00 over an 01 with the same price with a little less miles, because i couldn't stand the fake *** brake vents on the side of the 01+. Ialso hated the fakeass hood scoop on the 01-04.Funny thing is,most people think the side scoops and hood scoopsare functional. I hate how ford riced it out from the factory.
The side scoops on the 99-00 are fake also so I'm not sure what your getting at.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:25 PM
techsent
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_pa

So i was thinking today of how much i hate the honeycomb hood scoop and how it is just looks fake. So i took off sound dampener and saw about 6 nuts holding my scoop on. I took them off and removed the scoop. And i stand back and looked at my hood without the scoop on it. And without it the hood is a regular v6 hood. So you know how the v6 hood has a inverted scoop, i was thinking i could cut that out and remove my honey comb grill and then it would be a functioning hood scoop. So i did it. I cut the hood were the v6 scoop was, cut the sound dampener and removed the honey comb had to do alittle cutting were the honeycomb was. And wa-la functional hood scoop. Looks good too, looks very factory.
That scoop has always bugged me too. Nice solution!

My idea is to drill 10-15 1/4" holes in the honeycomb (if it doesn't crack...). Then drill the same amount under the scoop to the bay. Next, use screen door mesh to cover all holes to guard against the rain.

I just haven't had the ***** to do it yet...
Old 04-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Kmoran81
2nd Gear Member

I drilled out every single little hole in the honeycomb on mine (it took forever) and then took an angle grinder and cut a hole in the hood to makeit functional. Then I mounted 4 red LEDs behind the honeycomb scoop and 6 red LEDs behind the grill. It looks awesome at nite. It has been like this for 3 years and I have never had a problem with anything getting wet in the rain. It does get a bit dirty from the dust but I guess im not as **** about how my engine looks as some people.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:56 AM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 04-27-2008, 09:34 AM
bryantwalley
1st Gear Member

How do you get the little heads to hold the signs.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k1gt

Good for you. Now if we can just figure out a way to fix the side scoops.
i bought a 00 over an 01 with the same price with a little less miles, because i couldn't stand the fake *** brake vents on the side of the 01+. Ialso hated the fakeass hood scoop on the 01-04.Funny thing is,most people think the side scoops and hood scoopsare functional. I hate how ford riced it out from the factory.
The side scoops on the 99-00 are fake also so I'm not sure what your getting at.
Yea- but the 99-00 don't stick out to the side, they sort of go in.
You know what- forget i said anything.
It it just me- or does anyone elsenotice that Ford put speed holes in our bumpers from the factory....there is foam behind the slots on our bumpers...pull the foam out- voila...you've got speed holes. Cracked me up the first time i saw it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honeycomb hood scoop