4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Loud bang --> black grease, wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:12 PM
smoke96
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Loud bang --> black grease, wtf?

i have excessive movement in my driver side rear wheel, what could that be?
Old 04-27-2008, 03:26 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You need to take the wheel off and see, do NOT drive the car until you figure it out!!![/align][/align]It could be lower ball joint, bad lower control arm bushings, a bad strut/strut mount, or shat I'm beginning to suspect you blew a wheel bearing--probably the inner bearing...[/align]
Old 04-27-2008, 05:13 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

So I took it off, and there appeared to be excessive grease oozing out of the rubber bushing at the tie rod connection. I cleaned off all the oozing grease, and it hasn't reappeared, but I've only been out driving for about 15 mins, spent the whole day waxing.

I'll post pics later, why would this come outta nowhere? No work has been done to the car recently.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Is the wheel still loose? There isn't much grease inside the tie-rod end, not enough to make too much of a mess.[/align][/align]There should be VERY little to no play in the wheel itself, certainly nothing that should be described as "excessive movement"--and there is a lot of black grease in the wheel hub...[/align]
Old 04-27-2008, 05:39 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

maybe a wheel bearing but i doubt it since its not making any noise or anything driving. maybe you have a ball joint going out. that would make a loud pop if you hit a bump or something.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:02 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Is the wheel still loose? There isn't much grease inside the tie-rod end, not enough to make too much of a mess.[/align][/align]There should be VERY little to no play in the wheel itself, certainly nothing that should be described as "excessive movement"--and there is a lot of black grease in the wheel hub...[/align]
That was another guy that was saying he had excessive play in the driver side wheel.

aCiD - Did you try to grab the wheel and try to move it around while you had it up on the jack? As cliffyk said there should be little to no movement at all. And how fast exactly were you going? 120? 130? and how long did you stay at that speed?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:28 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: black35th

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

That was another guy that was saying he had excessive play in the driver side wheel.

aCiD - Did you try to grab the wheel and try to move it around while you had it up on the jack? As cliffyk said there should be little to no movement at all. And how fast exactly were you going? 120? 130? and how long did you stay at that speed?
Oh yes, forgot to mention that, yes it was rock solid. And I could spin the brake disk freely, and it felt ok.

It was 180km/h for about 2 minutes, I had already been driving for 2 hours at 130-150.

Pics in a second.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

Here it is, I wiped off what was oozing, you can see where some dripped onto the brake rotor shroud, I've been driving maybe 3 or 4 times today, nothing has come back.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:16 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

id try to seal it up again and put more grease back in it. may need a new grease cup... is there any side to side play in it?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:18 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smoke96

i have excessive movement in my driver side rear wheel, what could that be?
does anything leak out of the axle tube? sounds like the axle bearing is going out, that would be my guess.

Quick Reply: Loud bang --> black grease, wtf?