4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Loud bang --> black grease, wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Loud bang --> black grease, wtf?

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

id try to seal it up again and put more grease back in it. may need a new grease cup... is there any side to side play in it?
I'll check for any play tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

i had something like that happen...didnt have a bang or nothing but on my right front wheel some kind of grease/powder would shoot all over the rim and id wash it and then itd be back in 5min of driving checked it out..nothing wet/no grease clean as ****... then like a week later it stopped ... confused the hell out of me
Old 04-27-2008, 11:06 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

Both my OTRs weep grease as well. Not as much as yours but there's wetness and its ok, nothing to worry about unless they are loose.

Anyways, you should really look at the rest of your underside and see what that big bang did to your car....
Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

Well it's likely the bang was unrelated to this leakage, I was just trying to think of anything abnormal which had taken place prior to this grease appearing.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:52 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

That tie-rod end looks like it has a grease fitting on it (no fittings on my '03, wish there were), did you recently have the oil changes or other service where they might have greased the tie-rod end and not wiped off the excess?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:34 AM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

That tie-rod end looks like it has a grease fitting on it (no fittings on my '03, wish there were), did you recently have the oil changes or other service where they might have greased the tie-rod end and not wiped off the excess?
No as I said the only thing I can think of recently was this noise. I do all the work myself on it, and what I can't do, I supervise someone else doing.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:44 AM
black35th
4th Gear Member

I'm just going on a far stretch here, but have you checked to make sure your weights are still on your wheel? And if so, is it possible that you were on a gravel/rocky road before you got up to speed? Maybe it was a rock that was stuck in your tire, and when you finally started going fast enough, it flew out and hit the bottom of your car. I know these are some far fetched ideas, but I'm just trying to help you figure out that noise!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:17 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: black35th

I'm just going on a far stretch here, but have you checked to make sure your weights are still on your wheel? And if so, is it possible that you were on a gravel/rocky road before you got up to speed? Maybe it was a rock that was stuck in your tire, and when you finally started going fast enough, it flew out and hit the bottom of your car. I know these are some far fetched ideas, but I'm just trying to help you figure out that noise!
Hahaha, I appreciate the ideas

I had already been travelling at 130+ km/h for a couple hours prior to this, and wasn't anywhere gravelly prior. It sounded like something BIG, and I wasn't able to look behind me to see if something came off, cause as soon as I heard the noise my eyes were locked forward in case I had to ditch the car off the highway or something, assuming the worst had happened.

Yes, when I had the wheel off yesterday to check the tie rod end I checked all the weights and they were solid, and still there.

The weather is ****ty today, and for the next couple days, I'll eventually throw the whole car up on jack stands and get under there to inspect though. Doubt I'll find anything...