4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking for help on lowering car

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Assman

Default Looking for help on lowering car

Hi all, new to this forum. I have a 98 GT convertible which I wanna do some work on, primarily lowering it. So my questions are does anyone recommend a shop in Northern NJ that would perform this type of work. I've called a few ford dealers and they won't touch any aftermarket work. Also the tire place I go to regularly has never done springs on a Mustang so they won't touch it. So I have no idea where to go.

Also what does everyone recommend in terms of springs. I was thinking either the ones from H&R or Saleen. They are both about the same price.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:05 PM
01GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Looking for help on lowering car

Do the work yourself. Save some money it is not too hard. As far as the springs you can pretty much pick any just make sure you get progressive rate springs.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Assman

Any special tools I would need to get that done? I've done other work to cars, just not suspension work so I'm a newbie when it comes to suspension work. I'm also assuming an alignment is required afterwards.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:39 PM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

i got mine aligned after i dropped it just helps reduce the wear and tear on your tires if you dont get caster camber plates
Old 04-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

I've got Steeda sport springs on my '98 GT vert and enjoy them for their flat handling characteristics. You know while you have the suspension apart to put in new springs, that is the time to change all your struts and shocks as well. Why pay for labor twice. I put in Tokico blue sport struts and shocks with KYB quads. Good combo and helped handling quite a bit.

If you lower the car more than 1 1/2" you will definitely have to invest in caster/chamber plates to realign your front end. A bumpsteer kit may also be in order. When changing springs, don't forget the new urethane islolators. The stock rubber isolators wear down fairly quickly. All quoted spring lowering is based on new isolators being installed at the same time.....so says the manufacturers. Maximum Motor Sports has a good set at a reasonable price. They also have one of the best caster/chamber plates out there. There strut tower brace is a worthwhile addition also. Go to: www.maximummotorsports.com and check things out for yourself. Steeda's site is www.steeda.com

If you want to see a '98 GT convertible lowered with the Steeda sport springs, just go to members galleries and put in a search for Deannostang. I have a few photos in there that should give you a good idea of the kind of lowering you can expect and the nice rear to front rake effect.

Good luck and enjoy your ride!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Quatrocky
2nd Gear Member

out of all things, why did you come to the conclusion you need to lower your car? just curious
Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Quatrocky

out of all things, why did you come to the conclusion you need to lower your car? just curious
I'm sure because they sit like a friggin 4X4.

Dude. If you are not comfortable doing the springs yourself, any performance shop would do it for you......hell, almost any muffler/brake shop would do springs. It's no big deal and your alignment should be OK with 1 1/2" drop or less.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:30 AM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

lol they do sit up like monster trucks thats y i did it i love parking next to other mustangs without springs and admiring the difference
Old 04-21-2005, 01:35 AM
Rick00GT

where about in Northern Jerseyy are you from man??
Old 04-21-2005, 02:05 AM
Assman

Thanks for the advise guys. Yeah main reason I wanna lower it is because it does look like my wife's 4runner. way too high. I love the way the stangs look lowered. a much more agressive look. I also have my acura lowered and i makes a huge difference in the handling dept. i was able to get the acura dealer to do that car but none of the ford dealers wanna tackle this.

I read the DIY on mustang world and it looks pretty straight forward so i may give it a shot. Wasn't aware that I would need caster/camber plates so now I have to look into that.

BTW I'm from the Clifton area.

Quick Reply: Looking for help on lowering car