4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Power Steering :( I need HELP!

Old 04-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Default Power Steering :( I need HELP!

Well, I don't know what happened here fellas. But what I do know, is that yesterday evening I had the car in the garage (it had ran fine all day long, flawlessly in fact). Well anyways, I cleaned the engine up a bit with an old rag, out of boredum. Well, this morning when I went to take it out, the power steering was out. I checked the fluid, and the belt...both were fine. I figured maybe I was reading it wrong, so I topped the fluid container off to the top... didn't do anything!

Started it again bout 15 minutes ago and it still isn't working. I did notice that the pump seemed to be trying to run, due to the fact that everytime I would begin to turn the wheel I would here the squeel of the pump; however, it still didn't "power steer." So can anyone help me? Anyone had this problem? Come on now fellas, I need some help, I just bought some new things for the car so I don't have the money to fix it right now....so I don't want to/can't bring it to a garage right now.

HELP!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:43 PM
OleYellarGT

Default RE: Power Steering :( I need HELP!

here is what I can find in the Ford service manual

Condition Possible Sources Action Hard Steering or Lack of Assist

Seized lower steering column shaft U-joints.
INSTALL a new lower steering column shaft. REFER to Section 211-04 .

Damaged, fractured steering column bearing(s).
REPAIR the steering column. REFER to Section 211-04 .

Power steering pump.
GO to Pump Flow and Pressure Test Component Test in this section.

Suspension components.
REFER to Section 204-00 for suspension system diagnosis and testing.

Steering gear internal leakage.
GO to Pump Flow and Pressure Test Component Test in this section

Pump Flow and Pressure Test

WARNING: Do not touch the flowmeter during the test procedure, or severe burns and serious injury may occur.

CAUTION: Make sure that the connection point will not interfere with any of the engine accessory drive components or drive belts.

Install special tool 211-F001 (014-00207) at the high pressure port of the power steering pump. Make sure the power steering analyzer gate valve is fully open.
On some vehicles, the power steering pump high pressure port is inaccessible and the special tool should then be installed either at the steering gear or at a point in the high pressure line between the power steering pump and the steering gear.
Place a dial thermometer in the power steering pump reservoir.
Check the power steering fluid level. If necessary, add power steering fluid.
Use Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.
Install a digital tachometer.
CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for more than three to five seconds at a time. Damage to the power steering pump will occur.

Start the engine. Place the transmission in neutral. Set the parking brake. Raise the power steering fluid temperature to 74-80°C (165-175°F) by rotating the steering wheel fully to the left and right several times.
Set the engine speed to 1500 rpm. Record the flow rate and pressure readings.
If the flow rate is below the flow rate specification, a new power steering pump may need to be installed. Continue with the test procedure.
If the pressure reading is above the maximum pressure specification, then check power steering hoses for kinks and restrictions.
Partially close the gate valve to obtain 750 psi. Set the engine speed at idle. Record the flow rate.
If the flow is less than the specified flow rate, then install a new power steering pump. For additional information, refer to Section 211-02 .
CAUTION: Do not allow the gate valve to remain closed for more than 5 seconds.

Completely close and partially open the gate valve 3 times. Record the pressure relief valve actuation pressure reading.
If the pressure does not meet the relief pressure specification, install a new power steering pump. For additional information, refer to Section 211-02 .
Set engine speed to 1500 rpm. Record the flow rate.
If the flow rate varies more than 3.785 liters/minute (1 gallon/minute) from the initial flow rate reading, install a new power steering pump. For additional information, refer to Section 211-02 .
CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for more than three to five seconds at a time. Damage to the power steering pump will occur.

Set the engine speed at idle. Turn (or have an assistant turn) the steering wheel to the left and right stops. Record flow rate and pressure readings at the stops.
The pressure reading at both stops should be nearly the same as the maximum pump relief pressure.
The flow rate should drop below 1.9 liters/minute (0.5 gallons/minute).
If the pressure does not reach the maximum pump relief pressure or the flow rate does not drop below the specified value, excessive internal leakage is occurring. Install a new steering gear as necessary. For additional information, refer to Section 211-02 .
Turn (or have an assistant turn) the steering wheel slightly in both directions and release quickly while watching the pressure gauge.
The pressure reading should move from the normal back pressure reading and snap back as the steering wheel is released.
If the pressure returns slowly or sticks, the rotary valve in the steering gear is sticking or the steering column is binding. Check the steering column and linkages before servicing the steering gear.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Well I'm sure that's all helpful, but I don't have the instruments to measure these things. I also don't have access to the vavle (cuz i dont kno where the hell it is).

Thanks a lot for the post though.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:15 PM
OleYellarGT

sorry about that, the valve they refer to is on the analyzer......just for a you information here is a diagram of the power steering system, maybe it will help?

[IMG]local://upfiles/15900/3F89C73F70094FDE82B641E11B0F9187.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15900/06F06CA7ED934C369625C761D0A470F0.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-21-2005, 10:18 PM
OleYellarGT

Item Part Number Description
1 3A713 Power steering hose
2 3R700 Power steering pump reservoir
3 3A714 Power steering hose
4 2B559 Hydro-boost assy
5 3E525 Power steering hose
6 3504 Steering gear
7 3A130 Tie-rod end
8 3A713 Power steering hose
9 3D746 Power steering fluid cooler
10 3A674 Power steering pump
Old 04-21-2005, 10:21 PM
OleYellarGT

might possibly be the pump.....
Old 04-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

True
Thanks for all the help!

I'll give it a look tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes.