4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Severe power loss during summer with Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:12 PM
xmikevankuikenx
2nd Gear Member

Default Severe power loss during summer with Vortech

Does anybody running a Vortech have a complete loss of power from like 2k-4k during the summer months? I had a Vortech installed and tuned in December. The car runs like a champ and the tires break loose through 3rd....until it gets hot outside. Then the car is slower than stock in the 2k-4k range...no exaggeration whatsoever. Is this in the tune or what. I'm only pushing 6-7lbs on the boost gauge so I'm assuming the air isn't TOO hot going into the engine. Coolant temps are normal. The car just runs like a beast when the engine is cool, but once it warms up during the summer it's slower than stock until 5k or so.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:19 PM
PolozLX
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Severe power loss during summer with Vortech

Heat soak I am betting. Time for methanol injection
Old 05-05-2008, 12:20 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Just wait until it gets humid. That will kill it more than any IAT. All the water displacing the oxygen in the air is going to KILL your car.

High IAT's can be cured with methanol, aftercooler, air to air intercooler, or any number of cooling methods, but there's no way around humid air really.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:45 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

At 7psi with 100°F intake air the output from the Vortech will be up around 180°. At 50° going in it would only be 112° or so... [/align][/align]Like 35thAnni said--methanol spray, or some sort of intercooler are the options.[/align][/align][/align][/align]
Old 05-05-2008, 03:51 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The lack of intercooler/aftercooler or methanol injection is whats killing you. When the IAT rises, your PCM is forced to pull timing out to prevent detonation. Less timing usually results in less power. If you had some sort of intercooler, your IATs would be lower and more consistent allowing for more timing and thus more power.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:25 PM
01KBGT

I would expect this when it's 98 degrees out with a lot of humidity. Doesn't seem like it should be that severe in early Spring. I had a non-intercooled set up for about a year, could feel a power loss when it's hot, but nothing major, and that's on a twin screw that makes more heat. I'd check your tune, doesn't sound right to me.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

You can install a timing adjusterand kick it up forthe summer months AND add a Snow alky kit. You'll be pleasantly suprised at the difference.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: FDNYBullitt

You can install a timing adjusterand kick it up forthe summer months AND add a Snow alky kit. You'll be pleasantly suprised at the difference.
[/align][/align]Pay special attention to the AND in the above comment--ifyou add spark advance without cooling thatcompressed airyou'll be back here asking where you can buy an engine. Cool the air first and you may not need to do anything artificial to the timing...[/align]
Old 05-06-2008, 05:16 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

+1. The air is much hotter in the summer and you better be careful. You could detonate depending on the tune that is in it now. You should never, never, never, never get your car tuned in winter weather. Wait for a 70* day and tune it.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I vote for I/Cer since it's almost a necessity if you live in a hotter climate.. methanol is great, but can be costly, depending on how much you use.. I/C is a bolt-on, permanent way to get those IATs down.. Bar and plate is the best style, since there is much less of loss over the I/C, vs. tube/fin...

JT

Quick Reply: Severe power loss during summer with Vortech