4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problem with my 03GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Black_03GT
1st Gear Member

Default Problem with my 03GT

Somethings wrong with my GT. I changed the plugs last weekend, with NGK Coppers. the car feels slow. It felt quicker for a coupleof days, but yesturday i really noticed that there was something wrong. Theres a tapping sound coming from under the car ( maybe coming from the tranny, or possibly an exhuast leak?? ) i dont know. i checked my air filter and it was DIRTY. so i bought a K&N and installed it. My car sounds like crap :/. Like when ur driving, you can hear the echos of it tapping, w/e it is. At idle u can hear it, then when u rev it, it just gets faster. Its NOT coming from theengine. Atleast it doesnt sound like it. Im really thinkin its the tranny, but im hoping its an exhuast leak. the car sounds crappy, and doesnt seem as fast. Anyone have any ideas? Im gonna reset the computer when i get home in about an hour, and see if that helps. this sucks This is exactly how my SVT started to sound before the year of BS from ford, and it got lemoned.

Any help will be GREATLY apreciated...
Old 04-22-2005, 03:20 PM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Problem with my 03GT

Well if it happened after you changed the plugs then I'd check them out first. Since you're hearing the sound when you are reving your engine at idle I don't think it's the tranny. Check out those plugs first. They could be causing your exhaust to sound like crap.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Black_03GT
1st Gear Member

ive already taken thhem ALL out and re-gappped them. There all set at .053 - .054. Maybe there not torqed right? i dont know...
Old 04-22-2005, 03:35 PM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

What kind of mods do you have?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:38 PM
black01gt
2nd Gear Member

U might have some bad plugs and wires if i were u if u still ahve he old ones put them back on and see if it does better then u know there something wrong with the new ones
Old 04-22-2005, 11:53 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

check to see if you didnt plug in one of the coil packs.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

While you have the plugs out, run a compression check on each cylinder. Let us know what you find that. If you are hearing the noise at idle in neutral then you more then likely you don't have any tranny issues. You may be hearing pieces of your CAT rattling around. It doesn't take much to break the ceramic plates.

Old 04-23-2005, 12:23 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

if your in nuetral and rev the motor... does it still make the noise... with the clutch depressed and with your foot off the clutch pedal, does it do it? (assuming you may be manual) if not, check to see if it does it when your in nuetral or park. if it does it then, i think the tranny may be out of the question... im guessing a cylinder is not firing cause it sounds like your car is making a ping noise and when you rev the motor up it gets faster cause the motor is at a higher rpm. so im guessing its a loose spark plug, bad coil pack, forgot to plug in one of those wires going to your coil pack (i did that when i changed my plugs last week, didnt make the noise at first but after like 30 min i heard a tapping noise and the car sounded like crap. so i checked all the wires and forgot to plug back in the coil for cylinder number 6. ) im hoping thats one of your problems and its not more serious... also check your exhuast to see if its got leaks. there could also be a rock in one of your cat's heat shields making noise, but that wouldnt make the car run sh*tty so thats out of the question.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:21 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, sounds like you've got a loose/burnt plug wire. If it ran great for a while you might not have plugged one back on good...but you said you've already had out once. I think everybody else may have been on the rigt track. Check your coil packs.

You could also have put a wire back in the wrong spot and it's burned through the outer coating. To check for burnt wire wait till after dark, or pull it into a dark garage, turn it on and run it. If you've got a wire shorting you'll be able to see the spark.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Black_03GT
1st Gear Member

alrite well i retorqued the plugs and coil packs, and un plugged the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer. the car now runs like it used to, i guess it needed to learn the new stuff?? and i thinking the sound is an exhuast leak. It kinda seems like you can see it spittin out the fumes right before the cat. The car runs normal agian, maybe a little better. finally sounds like its supposed to, only that damn sound. Its not to bad on idle, but when you give it a little gas, and the noise echos off all the building/cars around you and stuff, it gets pretty anooying. Im takin it to Ford in the morning to get them to look at the exhuast. aproaching 36k so figured id take it in, nothing to do tomarrow anyways.

ill let you know what i find out.

preciate the respones

Quick Reply: Problem with my 03GT