4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Home made Boost-a-pipe

Old 05-08-2008, 09:39 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Home made Boost-a-pipe

But similar to exhaust, isn't there a point in which the compressor won't pull anymore air, thus making the diameter of the pipe useless after a certain width (say, more than 4")?

I would think so, since the compressor is only going to be able to draw so much??

JT
Old 05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

But similar to exhaust, isn't there a point in which the compressor won't pull anymore air, thus making the diameter of the pipe useless after a certain width (say, more than 4")?

I would think so, since the compressor is only going to be able to draw so much??

JT
[/align][/align]Absolutely...[/align][/align]Fluid flowing through any plumbingexperiences a pressure drop from the inlet to the outlet.Even a36" ID pipe feedingsyxnerd'ssupercharger would have such a pressure drop, though one would require some very sophisticated equipment to measure it.[/align][/align]The engineering exercise is to keep that restriction as low as possible, while keeping the size of the plumbing reasonable within the project's parameters--and as you have suggested keeping in mind that at somestage you will reach a "point of diminishing returns" where increasing the capacity of the pipe provides no meaningful benefit.[/align][/align]The fact that the increases brought about by the Mustang BAPs, even those claimed by the vendors, are not all that spectacularsays that the 4" pipes are pushing into diminishing returns territory--however in our domain there is strong argument for "every little bits helps"...[/align][/align]--------------------------------[/align]"A penny on its own doesn't count for much, but add up 100 of 'em and you've got a dollar." [/align](my father ca. 1955)[/align][/align][/align]
Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

I picked up 3psi with my 4" MPH power pipe, and they say 1lb is equivalent to approximately 10rwhp....so to me even $300 for 30rwhp is definately worth it. I dont think there is one other mod out there for that price that can add that power.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Well, now you're starting to assume that you're going achieve maximum power per pound increase.. The suggested PPP increase, is based on a vehicle that's at absolute sea level, with optimum (stoic) tuning throughout the rpm band, with fuel that is not fouled in anyway with perfect ignition timing and ignition discharge, and an ambient temperature of less than 75 degrees..

There are a lot of variables included to get the PPP increase of 10hp per in/lb of air.. However, increasing the volumetric efficiency, and the efficiency of the compressor, will drastically improve throttle resonse, and the ability to build boost faster, with sustained capability..

JT
Old 05-08-2008, 10:53 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

I picked up 3psi with my 4" MPH power pipe, and they say 1lb is equivalent to approximately 10rwhp....so to me even $300 for 30rwhp is definately worth it. I dont think there is one other mod out there for that price that can add that power.
[sm=exactly.gif]

unless you have a termie motor and a CAI adds 25 horse [8D]
Old 05-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

I definately plan on ordering a Power pipe as well... Well worth the money from the gains people get.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:14 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

What about the people still running preset boost levels (8lbs)?I can understand why the power pipe would bea good ideaifthe amount of air being drawn inis at the cfm required for making the boost level your at, butisnt the pipe big enough on its own, or willwe even see a increase in boost reguardless of what boost levels we are at currently. I say this because I think the procharger pipe would be able to pull enough air into the inlet for the 8lbs thus making the power pipe pointless. Unless it increased the boost, and then of course increased the horsepower. Is it because the powerpipe is makes it easier for the charger to pull in air or because of the bigger ID of the pipe. I would assume both, but would question the cfm abilities of the procharger pipe. By asking is the pipe really restrictive or is it a sales pitch? Is the pipe able to be efficient, is so how much, and how does it compare?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

What I don't understand is why they are 4" in diameter.....It's not like all that air can be sucked in....
The entire point of the pipe is to make sure there is zero restriction over the length of the pipe. 3.5 inches doesn't seem like enough, hell my FMIC stuff is 3 inches!