4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger/Vacum problem Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:26 PM
ShelbySVO

Default Supercharger/Vacum problem Help.

2001 Saleen ok heres is the deal 2 issues.
#1-The supercharger is creating boost but when you let off the gas at higher RPM's the supercharger is making a rythmic noise that sounds like the belt is slipping.

#2 I noticed that the bypass valve would not holdsuction sotook it off and the gasket wasworn.A new one wasinstalledand itnowseems to be working properly but the noise is still there. The tech at Procharger suggested that without the bypass working properly, it could have blown a vacuum line somewhere else.I do not knowmuch about supercharged enginesso any help from you guys will be helpfull.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger/Vacum problem Help.

There's only a few vac lines on the car so it wont be hard to find.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:41 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I would make damn sure the blower isn't surging. Surging is when the pressure in the intake/tubing built up by the blower at higher rpm has nowhere to go when the throttle is released and the engine rpm drops. It can cause severe damage to your blower if not destroy it. Qs: what pressure are you running and if your running high boost did you upgrade the bypass valve? Did you actually watch the bypass valve open and close when the throttle is open and then closed? If you are running over 10psi on the stock bypass then you might want to think about upgrading to a bigger valve.

The relaxed position of the bypass is closed, then when the car is started and vaccum is present the valve should open. The valve should then close again at the throttle is open and the rpms rise, then immediately open when released. If this isn't happening, then you either definitely have a vac leak and there isn't enough negative pressure to open the valve, or there is a problem with the bypass valve itself.

edit: I would venture to say its more likely a problem with the valve since you car would display other signs like a stutter at idle or stalling if there was a big enough vac leak to cause the bypass not to open.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:42 PM
ShelbySVO

This not a car I own. I am looking into buying it and the dealer stated this was the issue it was having..I would haft to buy it sight unseen due to the fact it is in CA and im in Ohio. He could not provide me any furtherinfo other then the Saleen has 54,000 miles.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:45 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

You want my advice? Stay FAAAR away. The dealer probably wants to give it to you for a sweet deal too huh? Probably just wants to unload the problems on someone else.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

If its being sold at a dealership, tell them to fix the prob before you buy it and not to change the price if they do so. They shouldn't be selling a broken car anyways. If it was an easy fix, don't you think they would have already done it?