4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need suggestions to reduce body roll

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default Need suggestions to reduce body roll

First auto-x event of the year, it was a blast, though I went slow [8D]

Lowered the stang with much stiffer springs and I -thought- that would help the body roll a bit... Just got to take a look at some of the pictures, yuck.

Looks like she's about ready to roll over

Subframe connectors are already going to be on the way. Any other worthwhile suggestions?

Edit: I may have been close to sliding in that picture, I was all over the course, it was fun... I probably spent more time near sideways than anything else. Tires will help here, I know.

Here's a picture of a scooby on the same turn for comparison

Old 05-13-2008, 02:47 AM
Cmpfreak88
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need suggestions to reduce body roll

Stiffer roll bars should help that body roll, I threw some Cobra roll bars on my 6er a while ago and it was pretty nice, especially since I didn't have a rear sway, but I know Eibach sells some as well as MM and other companies.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:50 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

def get some bigger sway bars
Old 05-13-2008, 06:14 AM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

stiffer shocks/struts would help too, if you're still using the stock ones.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

If you're into racing, don't just put regular sub-frame connectors. You'll probably want to go custom and tie in support from side to side as well. A coil over kit will really help out as well,but your biggest improvement will be sub-frame connectors. If you weld, it can super cheap too. You just need some rectangle stock and you're set. You can buy a drive shaft loop. Sway bars will help, but it will be minimal. A strut tower brace helps. But since you actually race, I would go with a coil over kit and some custom sub-frame connectors
Old 05-13-2008, 01:18 PM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

WELDED subframe connectors and panhard bar*.

best suspension improvement I did to my Mustang..................Maximum Motor Sports +1

John

Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Looks to me like your front tires are rolling under?
What kind of rubber you using?

Also, the best way to go is to stick with one company and their products because typically they are designed to work together.
For example, a bigger anti-sway bar is not necessarily better, depending upon your springs and struts.

I would suggest the Eibach kit or anything from MM.

If you are just looking to go anti-away bar, the Steeda front bar is great as it is stronger and lighter than the stock.
You can also get the adjustable rear bar which works in tandem with your stock bar to dial in the amount of stiffness you want.

As others suggested a pan hard bar is a good upgrade as well.

I installed a MM strut brace and full length subframes and the car is like a different animal.
Mine is a vert though so the difference is going to be more noticeable.

Seriously though the best way to go is work with a single company.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:08 AM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

I don't think it matters to mix and match brands, especially if you do some of the work custom, that doesn't mean you can't put prefabbed parts on there. Mix and match, each piece has a specific job, and one brand might make a better part and another company make a different part better. But like I said, you have to stiffen up the body of that car.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:21 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

So where did this happen at? I go to that site you sent me last year and I never find any events happeining in MI. I want to try this Auto X bad. send me a PM with info on the next one please.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:34 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlg32281

I don't think it matters to mix and match brands, especially if you do some of the work custom, that doesn't mean you can't put prefabbed parts on there. Mix and match, each piece has a specific job, and one brand might make a better part and another company make a different part better. But like I said, you have to stiffen up the body of that car.
Agreed if he is at the level where he is going to be doing custom work. That's an entirely different ballgame.

The reason I said to stick with parts designed to work with each other is because a lot of people don't realize that springs, struts and anti-sway bars are all designed to compliment and work with each other.
It's much easier to to stick with a combination known to work with each other as opposed to mixing and matching and ending up with a car whose handling is unpredictable.

Just slapping a huge front or rear anti-sway bar on a car might be the worst thing for some cars depending upon the rest of the suspension.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions to reduce body roll