4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EVERYTHING I WILL NEED FOR GEARS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:10 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default EVERYTHING I WILL NEED FOR GEARS?

ok, i got the gears.... FFRP 3.73 gears... now what do i need for them to be installed? im going with a new driveshaft while im at it. do they make a even lighter driveshaft than the aluminum one? like a carbon fiber one? would it be worth it for a new rear girdle for the install? what type of oil do i use for the rear end? should i get new seals for the rear end and everything? what are the things i will need? links please!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:11 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: EVERYTHING I WILL NEED FOR GEARS?

you need a really good shop that knows what they're doing and'll install everything needed in one package. that should take care of the isntall.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:18 AM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

ok, i got the gears.... FFRP 3.73 gears... now what do i need for them to be installed? im going with a new driveshaft while im at it. do they make a even lighter driveshaft than the aluminum one? like a carbon fiber one? would it be worth it for a new rear girdle for the install? what type of oil do i use for the rear end? should i get new seals for the rear end and everything? what are the things i will need? links please!
I was j/w why you went with a new driveshaft and how much that ran you. IMO that $$ could of been spent elsewhere. Since you've got an '02 you shouldn't need new master bearings, but you just need a basic install kit when you take it into a shop.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:18 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

you need a really good shop that knows what they're doing and'll install everything needed in one package. that should take care of the isntall.

and where might this good shop be? anyone in the knoxville area that knows a good shop? pep boys told me they could do it for 350... but i dont trust them, they had trouble taking the wheel off my car once.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:21 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kubball2005

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

I was j/w why you went with a new driveshaft and how much that ran you. IMO that $$ could of been spent elsewhere. Since you've got an '02 you shouldn't need new master bearings, but you just need a basic install kit when you take it into a shop.

i dont have a new driveshaft yet, i cant afford it yet. i have like 10 bucks so far saved up for the install + extras. ive got 23k on the car as of now. for the speedo recalibration, ive got a programmer already. where can i get the basic install kit? what site has it? the driveshaft i want btw, costs 230 on ebay. i would rather get it on ebay cause its cheaper. i got my gears for 165 bucks off ebay, and that includes shipping.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:25 AM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

Dude I say screw the driveshaft, you'll need that 250 bucks for the install. Do you have any mods as it is?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:31 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kubball2005

Dude I say screw the driveshaft, you'll need that 250 bucks for the install. Do you have any mods as it is?

yep, i got some mods as of now... ill list them at the bottom.... im only 16 and im in the process of getting a job so its alittle hard for me makin money right now, probably will have em in the middle of next month or so.

mods are:
superchips programmer
MAC CAI
Borla Cat-back exhuast
Blu thunder short throw shifter
Accufab 75mm throttle body and C&L upper plenum
eibach pro springs
steeda aluminum upper and lower rear control arms
steeda CC plates
3.73 gears (not installed)

thats all ive got as of now.... i need more money for more. after the gears im finishing off the exhuast.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:51 AM
Quatrocky
2nd Gear Member

yea i agree, no need for the driveshaft, use that money for the gear install.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:06 AM
JonBeast

gears and o/r midpipe = my best mods so far

get a midpipe, lol driveshaft, you have been perusing the mustangtuning.com drivetrain section too much.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:11 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

im going with the BBK long tube headers and an BBK high flow cat X pipe after the gears.. that should help me out alot... i will just about be full bolt on then too, except for the pullies but im not doing them.

Quick Reply: EVERYTHING I WILL NEED FOR GEARS?