4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which Supercharger to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Muscle GT
1st Gear Member

Default Which Supercharger to get?

Hey everyone I am planning on supercharging my 02 gt. Right now the motor is stock. Ive been doing some research and I think I want to get either Vortech or Paxton. I dont want to spend 8k on a KB or Roush. So, from what i've found, Vortech and Paxton are the most cost efficient.

My first question is, which one should I get? Also, i know Vortech puts out a few different models, which is the best? Lastly, does anyone know of where the best place/cheapest place to buy it is? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Which Supercharger to get?

D1 Procharger with 3 core intercooler FTMFW!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:26 PM
lubrizolsfinest

I am looking for s/c soon myself as well. I have found the best place to get one is craigslist.org, this forums classifieds or ebay. Just beware it seems like all s/c have less than 3000 miles. Most of these come with everything you need minus the fuel pump, for around $3000 dollars.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

If you plan on buying new, i suggest checking out modularpowerhouse.com for their mongoose kit. comes with every single part needed for install. I love my vortech, if i could do it again id buy the same thing.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GStam66

D1 Procharger with 3 core intercooler FTMFW!!!
i love how people who don't have a supercharged car give advice on what is the best supercharger [&:]
Old 05-17-2008, 02:54 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

^^ lol.. can we say OUCH?

Really though, for the OP, a vortech SQ like the one that comes with the Mongoose kit isn't bad, The Paxton Novi's aren't bad either. Though the ProCharger P-1 like the one I've got is one of the safer ones for a stock 2V shortblock methinks.. I got the fullstage-2 kit with injectors,fuel pump, and everything else included for a little over $4,700. The Vortech kits usually run a couple hundred more than that so it's not a HUGE difference, unless you find a dealer that's running a special or something.And you'll want to keep it to about 10-psi or lower. Anything more than about 390-400RWHP on a stock cast block with the crap cast internals on a 2V and you risk the big boom.. There have been people who've run more obviously, but it's an expensive risk to take as every engine is different, and it also depends a lot on how often you'll be hitting boost in it too.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:27 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Subotai_95

^^ lol.. can we say OUCH?

Really though, for the OP, a vortech SQ like the one that comes with the Mongoose kit isn't bad, The Paxton Novi's aren't bad either. Though the ProCharger P-1 like the one I've got is one of the safer ones for a stock 2V shortblock methinks.. I got the fullstage-2 kit with injectors,fuel pump, and everything else included for a little over $4,700. The Vortech kits usually run a couple hundred more than that so it's not a HUGE difference, unless you find a dealer that's running a special or something.And you'll want to keep it to about 10-psi or lower. Anything more than about 390-400RWHP on a stock cast block with the crap cast internals on a 2V and you risk the big boom.. There have been people who've run more obviously, but it's an expensive risk to take as every engine is different, and it also depends a lot on how often you'll be hitting boost in it too.

Wherever you are looking and finding vortech kits for a couple hundred MORE than $4700 is insane. Like i said, go to MPH mongoose kit and get a sq trim complete package for $3900. thats$800 cheaper, with the extra$800 you can fab up a front mount and still have hundreds left over
Old 05-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

If MPH is selling the SQ trim kit for 3800 I'd have to agree, though I didn't know their prices were that low, I've never bought anything from them before.. I know about the MPH mongoose kits, just didnt' know how much they cost. And Lethal performance, DTP tuning, THR, JEGS, Dallas Mustang, all of their complete vortech kits, I/C, piping, injectors, intake, headunit and fuel pump included, are running better than 5k for most of theSQ kits unless I"m just completely talking out of my a$$ here..
Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

oh i believe ya, i dont think youre talking out of your a$$. I bet you that big name companies like that are selling s/c kits for that expensive. I spent, what was it $4100 for the complete kit and that included the MPH 4" power pipe which runs for $200. Im not an expert on fabbing up an intercooler because i went the Paxton front mount route, but i can't see it costing more than $300-$400.

http://modularpowerhouse.com/product...7cf6dc838e9197
Old 05-18-2008, 11:06 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

MPH Paxton Novi-2000 Mongoose kit FTW. Thats what I would do if I started it all over.

edit: if you never plan on getting a forged bottom end, then go Procharger P-1sc. You can pick one up for a few hundred more than the Mogoose kit from JMSchip and it comes intercooled. But if you even have the slightest chance of building the bottom end, then don't waste your time with an entry level blower. Look into the Novi-2000, Procharger D-1sc, or the Vortech T-trim. They won't be too much more to upgrade the kits and you'll be much happier down the road.

Quick Reply: Which Supercharger to get?