4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Octane rating

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Jakes
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Octane rating

ORIGINAL: The02GT
........ i put 7 gals in and only noticed a bit more power.....
.....[sm=bs.gif]

First off, doesn't anyone know how to use the search function! This topic has been discussed B4.

Second, higher octane fuels have additives that actually slow down the burn process to help reduce detonation in high compression engines or motors with the timing bumped up or blown. If you use a higher octane fuel than what the motor is designed to use you will actually lose power because of the slower burn rate. Save that high octane stuff for after you've completed all those heavy mods

Third, no... higher octane is not 'cleaner'. In fact, I've heard stories (undocumented by me directly) where stock engines that have been run exclusively on premium fuel have been torn down to reveal very bad carbon deposits. Was the carbon caused by the fuel? I don't know, but the guys doing the tear down thought so.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:07 AM
The02GT
3rd Gear Member

No dude the 101 is unleaded and is sold at the pump at texaco, i already have used 110 Leaded on my other car and that where it hurt everything...

ORIGINAL: 2000Si

101 octane race fuel is leaded, it will hurt the O2 sensor with continuous use. I'd say try 93-94 octane and if it pings throw in a bottle of octane booster.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:09 AM
The02GT
3rd Gear Member

And its not BS, have you ever tried 101 in your car?? Cause I DID notice a bit more power, i am not saying like 10 hp more like 1 or 2 if that. Its def. not worth the money tho and i am not going to use it again till i get my timing adjuster on, and the higher the octane the slower it burns thus creating a bit more power, think about it....

ORIGINAL: Jakes

ORIGINAL: The02GT
........ i put 7 gals in and only noticed a bit more power.....
.....[sm=bs.gif]

First off, doesn't anyone know how to use the search function! This topic has been discussed B4.

Second, higher octane fuels have additives that actually slow down the burn process to help reduce detonation in high compression engines or motors with the timing bumped up or blown. If you use a higher octane fuel than what the motor is designed to use you will actually lose power because of the slower burn rate. Save that high octane stuff for after you've completed all those heavy mods

Third, no... higher octane is not 'cleaner'. In fact, I've heard stories (undocumented by me directly) where stock engines that have been run exclusively on premium fuel have been torn down to reveal very bad carbon deposits. Was the carbon caused by the fuel? I don't know, but the guys doing the tear down thought so.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:39 AM

First: 02... you will not notice 1 or 2 horsepower. Period. That's called a placebo. You think you felt it, but it's all in your head. A 1 or 2 horsepower bump in power is absolutely nothing to get excited for, and I'm sure it wouldn't even show up on the dyno charts.

~ I was mistaken though, pump 100+ octane isn't leaded, I was thinking you used race fuel. That was my bad.

~ Higher octane has additives which make the fuel burn slower. It has a higher flash point so it doesn't explode prior to TDC on the compression stroke.

~ Higher octane fuel will burn more slowly in an engine designed to run on 87/89 fuel because the fuel will not completely atomize and that's what causes carbon buildups.

In the end, run 91-94 Octane in your car ONLY if you have either

1. bumped timing
2. aftermarket rods/pistons that will give you a higher compression
3. Forced induction of any sort - Turbo, SC, or Nitrous.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:03 AM
The02GT
3rd Gear Member

i know, im not exicted about it, its not worth it now, BUT when my timing adjuster is installed i think it will help b/c i will be running 10 degrees more then the car already advances (whick is like 8 to 10 degrees)
Old 04-26-2005, 03:54 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Please be educated before you do somthing. Dont always listen to everything your buddy or cousin says. This thread is a good example of what hearsay can do for your mustang...

2000SI hit it right on the head. Listen to the Honda guy and you might learn somthing . To get the best performance from your engine you want to run the LOWEST octane you can without predetonation. Octane rating only rates the fuels RESISTANCE to combustion. The higher the octane the more resistant. The fuels still burn the same once ignited. If you run higher octane than you car is made for, then you will only hurt performance for the reasons that 2000SI stated. The02GT, it was impossible for you "feel" a power difference with the higher octane, especially 1-2 HP. Firstly because, once again, higher octane isnt "more powerful". Its only more restant to combustion or, more stable you can say. Secondly your vehicle is not prepared to do what it takes to ignite the more stable fuel you used so, not all of it was ignited leading to a contribution to carbon buildup inside your engine.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:09 AM
silver04stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000Si

First: 02... you will not notice 1 or 2 horsepower. Period. That's called a placebo. You think you felt it, but it's all in your head. A 1 or 2 horsepower bump in power is absolutely nothing to get excited for, and I'm sure it wouldn't even show up on the dyno charts.

~ I was mistaken though, pump 100+ octane isn't leaded, I was thinking you used race fuel. That was my bad.

~ Higher octane has additives which make the fuel burn slower. It has a higher flash point so it doesn't explode prior to TDC on the compression stroke.

~ Higher octane fuel will burn more slowly in an engine designed to run on 87/89 fuel because the fuel will not completely atomize and that's what causes carbon buildups.

In the end, run 91-94 Octane in your car ONLY if you have either

1. bumped timing
2. aftermarket rods/pistons that will give you a higher compression
3. Forced induction of any sort - Turbo, SC, or Nitrous.
OWNED!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:41 AM
sk8erdudex
2nd Gear Member

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
Great article about this subject
Old 04-26-2005, 05:57 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

These are my theories and findings:

- there is no reason to run higher octane unless you are experiencing detonation usually due to compression, load, timing, or other reasons.

- higher octane fuel CAN cause loss of performance. Could even result in less complete combustion as suggested by other post above.

- higher octane fuel is not neccessarily cleaner in the tank nor when burned. Since I bumped up my timing w/ predator, I stick with Shell V-Power and try to avoid those shady looking gas pumps. Still, there is nothing to say that Shell is better or they don't have water in their tank or whatever.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:56 PM
The02GT
3rd Gear Member

Guys, i know it was dumb RIGHT NOW cause i dont have the timing adjuster on as of yet, BUT like i said b4 once it IS on I think the 101 MAY help, i will have to see, but if not i will stick to 91 or 93!!!!!

Quick Reply: Octane rating