4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car alarm...Door Sensor Voltage...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:28 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Default Car alarm...Door Sensor Voltage...

Ok, so I had a car alarm installed this past week and have been trying to get all the bugs worked out of it. Every time I arm the car then leave andcome back later, the system notifies me that the alarm was triggered through the door sensor trigger. Obviously the alarm should only give me thismessage if the alarm was triggered by someone opening the door, which is definitely not the case.

This is the best thatthe Best Buy AutoTech and I have come up with....Some ford computers cycle off or change the voltages it sends to different sensors throughout the car. A loss of power to the door sensor would lead the alarm to believe that the door has been opened...when in all actuality it hasn't. I have timed it three separate times and every time the alarm goes off at exactly 30 minutes after the car is turned off and the alarm is armed. The Autotech has never seen this computer cycling in a Mustang though.

Does anybody have any input on this? We are thinking of connecting the door sensor portion of the alarm to the dome light supervision instead seeing as how the dome light only comes on when the door is in fact opened. Any thoughts on going this route?

Help please....!!! I was ina hotel last night and my alarm randomly triggered 3 separate times in the middle of the night...its only a matter of time until someone gets pissed and keys it or worse...!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 AM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Car alarm...Door Sensor Voltage...

bump...
Old 05-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Damn, nothing but problems. I'm sorry bro. You're going to hate me for saying this, but take it to another Bestbuy or at least make sure the lead installer does it and that he's been doing it for a while. Most autotechs (including me) don't like doing warrenty work from other stores but if you explain to them whats going on i'd say you have a 60/40 chance of getting it done better. Also, have them arm it and wait to see if it does it again BEFORE you take the car home. Arm it and then go play ROckband for 25 minutes. They are responsible for all the work they do and to make sure they do it right.

If you were in Michigan i'd just do it myself. I don't believe the computers cycling, I think he's just doing it wrong.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 AM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I took it to another best buy yesterday for a second opinion. It's not that I didn't trust the first best buy guys, just figured a fresh set of eyes couldn't hurt. The guy I took it to yesterday is the lead installer and after checking out the install said the first crew did a great job, nothing he could find wrong with the installation at all.

He's going to make some phone calls to some tech's higher up and see what they suggest.

I have troubleshot it 5 different times and every time like clockwork the alarm goes off at exactly 30 minutes from when the alarm was set....and I am not sure but i think every 30 minutes there after too.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:01 AM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Could be a bad unit? Check the volts on your car before you start it and see what your battery voltage is at, maybe your battery is getting tired? Also, door sensors do go bad! Maybe get 2 new ones and try it out.
Do you have an aftermarket stereo system with an amp? Maybe it's not turning off and drawing power?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Ok so I just made my 4th trip into Best Buy for them to work on the alarm. The technician re-routed the alarm trigger for the doors away from the door sensor and to the dome light supervision instead. The alarm functioned correctly and away I went.....or so I thought.

Now the alarm still goes off every 30 mins, but is telling me now that it is the trunk sensor triggering it.

From what I can understand the aftermarket alarm is tied into the factory alarm. Does the factory alarm go into sleep mode? Should we be pulling power from somewhere else instead of the factory alarm?