4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

strange noise after gears installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 AM
FoDaddy

Default RE: strange noise after gears installed

Ok, after reading the replies (thanks to everyone who responded) I'm going to go back over to the shop and see what they are willing to do for me. For posterity's sakehere’s a rundown of what has transpired so far.

1. I order the gears; install kit, axlelube,and a tuner from American Muscle.com.
2. The order arrives a few days.
3. I call a local speed shop, they don't do gear installs, but recommend this shop.
4. I call the tranny shop, they quote $350 for the install, which is one the high side, but the shop is nearby and the speed shop recommended them.
5. I take the car in for the install
6. I get a call from the transmission shop stating that he needs some extra bearings that were not in the kit, he says that it'll be another $50 give or take.
7. I get a call back saying that the car is ready, but it is making noise. The mechanic thinks that the noise is coming from the transmission. He says he double checked the rear end and everything looked good.
8. I pick up the car. The bill for this install has inexplicably risen to$595. On the invoice he says that he had to add two bottles of friction modifier, because Royal Purple doesn't have it. (Despite the bottle saying it does).
9. I drive the car back home, it's making a sound not unlike a seal sitting on a juicer, It's quite loud and only happens when the car is coasting. It still makes the sound whether the car in is gear or not.
10. I call the guy back, he thinks that the issue is in the transmission and wants $450 to drop the transmission. His reasoning is with the 4.10 rear end the gears inside the transmission are now spinning much faster and that's what I'm hearing.

I'm concerned that I'm being bent over by this shop. But I'm not sure if I should just go over there and basically confront them of screwing up the install and see if they'll give me at least a partial refund, or if I should just cut my losses and have another shop look it over. Or if I should let the original shop take a look at the transmission. I'm really frustrated over this whole debacle.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

WOW... id go to another shop... tell them what happened.. There is no way it should cost 595 lol.... U can EASILY win that one in court lol...
[ul][*]U didnt need the Friction Modifier....[*]prolly didnt need other bearings[*]they just wanna open ur tranny and find something "broken"[*]THey are crooks[*]With the Price of them "LOOKING" at ur tranny u can almost buy a Rebuilt 3650 lol...[/ul]I would confront them Nicely... " I have called around to Many shops and told them the problems. they call tell me that the noise that it is making is From the GEARS. I didnt need any Friction Mod. or more Bearings".

Actully drive to like 4 diff GOOD shops and TALK to the Mechanic, most people will be pretty nice if you be honest and tell them u think some shop just screwed u (most likely they will try to help you since they will get YOUr Business out of the deal)
Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Sounds like he is playing games with you.

Correctly installed gears should not whine, whirr or sound like a plane is coming in for a landing.