4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

super chargers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM
rogerwilco357
2nd Gear Member

Default super chargers

what is the life span of your super chargers everyday use, not racing it ..Unless challenged and even then that doesn't last long.
Like the one guy posted he is getting his money and it is burning a whole in his pocket .and if he saves up for one how long will a supercharger last in somewhat stock mustang, and what brand has a better lifespan? anyone?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: super chargers

I have a three-year warranty on my Procharger.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:23 PM
brian1570
Blart

ive heard a good roots type(kenne bell)will last much longer than a cheapy centri. but as far as internals the extra strain will shorten the life of the high friction parts. like rings, bearings etc etc
Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

No bias in that comment. Kenne Bell are screw-type superchargers, not roots. I have heard that they are very good superchargers but I do not know how long their warranty is.

I hadmy car retuned after 15,000 miles and there was no loss of boost or any evidence of gear wear. Iwill probably put 60,000 miles onmy Procharger during its warranty period. I really don't think that's too bad for a "cheapy centri" and I have not heard of any roots style blower lasting that long.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 PM
rogerwilco357
2nd Gear Member

hmm , so the average you think is like 2 - 5 years on an oil fed unit. just wondering how long befor they go an you have to drop another 3k. to get back what you lost ..because once you have put one on it is hard to go without one..the blower that is lol..
Old 05-21-2008, 03:02 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brian1570

ive heard a good roots type(kenne bell)will last much longer than a cheapy centri. but as far as internals the extra strain will shorten the life of the high friction parts. like rings, bearings etc etc
Wow, you have absolutly no buisness whatsoever posting on this subject. Not only are you unfamilar with the subject matter, you have no real data at all... good job! Newsflash... a KB is not a roots style supercharger!

On the main subject, any name brand supercharger should last you many miles and years. Even if you do have problems down the road, the rebuilds are nowhere near the price of a new headunit/kit. The only real thing that could go out due to wear would be the bearings or perhaps the seals, and the straight rebuilds from the respective companys are pretty cheap.

Lets put it this way, you should get an easy 50K+, if not more, out of any name brand head unit on a stock shortblock (and thus non high boost) car.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:54 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: brian1570

Wow, you have absolutly no buisness whatsoever posting on this subject. Not only are you unfamilar with the subject matter, you have no real data at all... good job! Newsflash... a KB is not a roots style supercharger!

On the main subject, any name brand supercharger should last you many miles and years. Even if you do have problems down the road, the rebuilds are nowhere near the price of a new headunit/kit. The only real thing that could go out due to wear would be the bearings or perhaps the seals, and the straight rebuilds from the respective companys are pretty cheap.

Lets put it this way, you should get an easy 50K+, if not more, out of any name brand head unit on a stock shortblock (and thus non high boost) car.
LOL.. [sm=angrymail.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=chairshot.gif]I guess "screwed" takes on a new meaning there eh? hehe..

Stil OP, he's right. Mine's been on the car for 2k plus miles now with no problems, and I've got a buddy with a 99 Cobra that's had a P-1 on his for going on four years and 45k plus in miles. The only problem he ever had with it was a couple of impeller bearings that went bad after a couple of years, and ProCharger covered those in the warranty. The only deal with the ProCharger warranty is that if you change the pulleys, it voids the warranty on the head unit. The warranty only covers unit as long as you're using thepulley that comes with the original kit. Some guys prefer the self-contained units, some don't, as I've heard both good and bad things about both set ups. Long story short, as long as you take care of the unit and change the oil when you have to and don't beat up on it TOO much, lol, I'd say you should be able to get at least 4yrs out of it, maybe more.

Edit: and yah, the ProCharger Warranty paperwork I have does say if you run something other than the original parts that came with the kit, it is NOT covered under the ATI warranty program.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

My buddy has a procharged NPI that he bought used with the s/c and he has has it since 1999 with no issues pushing 8lbs. AND thats in the mohave desert where 110 degree's is like sitting in a ice cream shop. It's kind of a shome too, the desert keep the engine bay dirty and pitted.